Petcock: Need some help here.

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
So today I decided to go through my entire fuel system, remove the tank screen, clean out the petcock, carb, etc.

Well I had taken apart the petcock, cleaned it out, blew it out with air, put it back together.

Now it's leaking gas but only up through the top of the hose. It's literally coming out the top of the hose, by the valve. No fuel anywhere else on the valve, just out of the hose. I nipped the worn part off, re-installed, no change.
There is no fuel at all getting into the line, it's all coming out the top.

Any ideas?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
these lines get hard over time and don't flex around the fitting well

try a tie-wrap or hose clamp on it

you might also try dipping the hose in boiling water to soften it for a few seconds to see if that hepls

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Automotive 1/4in fuel line. I've pretty much established now that I FUBAR'd the petcock when I took it apart. So Imma get a new one tomorrow hopefully...

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I've got an inline filter. lol

I'm really thinking it's the petcock, because it's not going into the fuel line. It's weird. Imma go tomorrow to scrounge around and try to find one.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
id get a new hose possibly. 1/4 seems pretty big considering i tried that on my petcock n did not like the fit. Better to get a size down and either use hot water or a hair dryer to soften the ends so you can slide it on

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Been using 1/4 inch since I put the bike together, only started leaking after I futzed with the petcock.

Got a new one today, seems to be working, still leaking, but that's my fault. lmao I'll fix that Friday when I have time.