What Bike Should I Choose For My Build? Please Vote!

GoldenMotor.com

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
Ok. Here is a big decision for me. Which of the bikes below should I choose for my build? I'm pretty sure. Thanks for any input and/or feedback!

I just found this Felt Bandit used for sale for $250+shipping and had to add it to the list. This one is aluminum like the 1903 and I really like the styling, and the fact that I can't find one build using it. I think this is my new #1. What do you guys think?

I can get this Felt 1903 used for around $250 (retails for $550). Another ideal candidate for an in-frame tank, and I love the Felt cruiser frame. This frame is made of aluminum! But does that make it harder to achieve an in-frame tank?

Actual pic of the 1903 for sale.

I can get this Felt El Guapo for $350 used (retails for $500). Again, I love the Felt frame and the possibility of an in-frame gas tank.

Last edited:

jimrandolph

Nov 28, 2009
signal mountain, tn.
Forgive me my sarcasim, but why if you want a GREAT BIKE THAT WILL DRAW ATTENION< AND GET GREAT LOOKS, GET A HARLEY DAVIDSON BICYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I got one and when I go to town, I get pulled over at least 5 times so people can take pictures of it!!!!!!!!I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Jim
98_harley_1.jpg
98_harley_4.jpg

Ok. Here is a big decision for me. Which of the bikes below should I choose for my build? I'm pretty sure. Thanks for any input and/or feedback!

I can get this Torker Bermuda for $175. It's a really nice looking frame/bike, and an ideal candidate for an in-frame tank.

I can get this Felt 1903 used for around $250 (retails for $550). Another ideal candidate for an in-frame tank, and I love the Felt cruiser frame. This frame is made of aluminum! But does that make it harder to achieve an in-frame tank?

I can get this Felt El Guapo for $350 used (retails for $500). Again, I love the Felt frame and the possibility of an in-frame gas tank.

I'm just curious about this one! Can this be motorized? Anyone know? I can get it used for $60!

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
I appreciate your input. I'm not sure I picked up on any sarcasm and am not sure what you mean. But I am only interested in the bicycles that I posted. Thanks.

I would get this Specialized Fatboy if I had $1400 (retails for $2800)! Pretty effing sick! I still love the Bandit though!

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Just remember with a Felt you'll need special mounts that run about $130 and if you go with a Felt with a 3" tire you'll need the offset mounts.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Definitely the Felt..Its gonna cost a bit for the mounts and such, but.. It definitely will be worth it.

Cheers

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
I pick the Felt 1903. Second place is Felt El Guapo.
I have no idea about the $60 bike as there are no pictures to look at.
I agree...sort of.

1 - Bandit
2 - 1903
3 - El Guapo

Motor mounts and extra costs here and there don't scare me. I want a real looker! By the way, here is a pic of the actual 1903 for sale. I don't like the non-stock tires and seat.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Allright, there are pictures now!
Ok, the list you have I agree with. That Bandit would be awesome!
As for motorizing that kick scooter , you could do it with a rack mount friction, belt or chain drive. You also could do it electric with a hub motor but the batteries would be interesting to mount.

Edit: The Torker Bermuda would work as a 4th place pick if the frame is well made. I have never seen one so I don't know. I do remeber Torker BMX frames from years ago and they were strong, well made.
Also consider the strength of the wheels. You do not want single wall rims or thin spokes! They will fail.
A common up grade are Worksman wheels with 11ga. spokes. Very heavy duty.

Last edited:

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks for the input GearNut and all others. GN, the Torker isn't even in the running anymore. But I remember the old Torker 2 freestyle bikes! They were sooo fresh!

About that kick scooter, you think a rack mount 2 stroke with a chain drive to a sprocket added to the rear wheel would work? I might just do that as well cuz it looks pretty cool, and it's only $60.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yeah, it would work allright, but you would need to custom mount is as you would not have a seat post to anchor the rack to.
I am envisioning something with 4 down tubes and x braces on both sides.
Another alternative I just thought of would be an Staton axle mounted setup.
It is alot of engine and gearbox hanging off of the left side though.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Of all my builds(7) the "1903" w/ inframe 4-stroke gets the most attention. For that price, it's a steal. Terry Blow has a video series on converting the top tank to fuel tank here on this Forum or www.blowbyu.ca. I made a tank mount from hardwood that clamps to the seat post and a quart size lawnmower tank. The bike is well made, the hydroformed aluminum frame is thick gauge.

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, it would work allright, but you would need to custom mount is as you would not have a seat post to anchor the rack to.
I am envisioning something with 4 down tubes and x braces on both sides.
Another alternative I just thought of would be an Staton axle mounted setup.
It is alot of engine and gearbox hanging off of the left side though.
Having it be all unbalanced like that would be undesirable for me at least. So, I'm just gonna focus on my main build.

Of all my builds(7) the "1903" w/ inframe 4-stroke gets the most attention. For that price, it's a steal. Terry Blow has a video series on converting the top tank to fuel tank here on this Forum or www.blowbyu.ca. I made a tank mount from hardwood that clamps to the seat post and a quart size lawnmower tank. The bike is well made, the hydroformed aluminum frame is thick gauge.
I think I'm going with the Bandit. I just received a reply from the owner, who's in another state. He is willing to sell it to me but needs to find a suitable box for it, and said that the closest bike shop is 2 hours away. :( Any ideas on how to assist the seller in any way would be most helpful. Thanks!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Many ground freight companies have re-usable crates ready and waiting to ship motorcycles and yes, bicycles too. I have no idea what they would charge you though.
Even UPS can do it for you, they have specific bicycle boxes, $50.00 each.
Check out their web site and see if the cost is reasonable for you.

hmusic

Jul 30, 2010
Los Angeles
Quick update:

I've decided to buy the Bandit and the 1903. I'm gonna build em both. I will post details in a new thread. Thanks for the replies!

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Yeah, too many of 'em just ain't quite enuff!LOL Seriously, I'd like to give a bit of unsolicited advise on how to spend more of your money. Buy the best engine and drive system you can afford. Make sure you install thick, thorn resistant tubes. Try to avoid all this cheap Chinese junk that floods this hobby. I've had to learn this stuff the hard way. For instance, the EZM drive w/ a 4stroke for an inframe mount or if you want a top quality easy to install and maintain system consider a BMP or Staton friction drive w/ a 4stroke. What a F/D unit lacks in aesthetics it more than makes up in function. GO QUALITY! You won't regret it.