sbp pipe

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
hey guys i bought a sbp pipe i used the long piece of copper from the mount to the header pipe and used the silicon to seal it i guess as ive seen on other bikes, i thought it was weird and was wondering why the silicon doesnt melt well i figured it out it does melt who would figure that, well now i was thinking of using those special fiberglass strips and the special resin you use to patch muflers and such instead of the silicon over the copper, i was wondering if anyone else has alternetive solutions to my problem. Also i was wondering if i should replace the copper tubing with a steel one and just weld it all in place :D:-||

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I thought much the same about welding it when I first got mine... then well o'er a fifteen hundred miles later and still goin' strong with no ill effect I decided it's fine the way it is lol Besides, the spring retention system is great for reducing metal fatigue.

It's a lil odd that you've got melting issues, mine's been run hot & hard all day at WOT w/o that problem. There was just the tiniest smear at first, just once - when the pipes shifted just a little and settled into place. Do you have excessive movement in the system? Can you take some pics?

yeah, yeah... the Schwinn's gettin' crusty, I'm gonna pull it apart and replace/repaint as necessary when I get a mo' lol

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I thought much the same about welding it when I first got mine... then well o'er a fifteen hundred miles later and still goin' strong with no ill effect I decided it's fine the way it is lol Besides, the spring retention system is great for reducing metal fatigue.

It's a lil odd that you've got melting issues, mine's been run hot & hard all day at WOT w/o that problem. There was just the tiniest smear at first, just once - when the pipes shifted just a little and settled into place. Do you have excessive movement in the system? Can you take some pics?

yeah, yeah... the Schwinn's gettin' crusty, I'm gonna pull it apart and replace/repaint as necessary when I get a mo' lol
thats what a bike should look like or it would mean it sits alot. I have a spooky exp chamber coming anyone have exp? are those pipes under the silicone slip fitted? if so use ultra high temp silicone to seal them and use springs to hold it all together

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sit this bike doesn't do lol, I ride it relentlessly and aggressively every day of the week, rain or shine. A testament to both aluminum motorized bikes and these lil Chinese 2smokers ;)

My kickstand decided to become a kickoff yesterday mornin' tho o_O

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'll take that as the complement it is and thanks! However, it is NOT a bike I would recommend at all tho I love it... the build was a nightmare because of the very limited space, the unusual shape and size of the Dtube, and most importantly the geometry of the frame - the angles of the seatpost, top tube and Dtube are all wrong... and not just a little lol

Still, if yer willing to go through some gawdawful nightmares like cuttin' down motor mounts and changing their angles and havin' to do the dreaded bolt-through mount too, oh right - can't forget an offset carb and a buncha other stuff... here ya go;

Schwinn Aluminum Comp 26" Men's Mountain Bike

Don't say I didn't warn ya tho lol

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Well from our experience the tubing does not melt, try putting rubber tubing on and you will see melting. The heat can cause it to dry and crack because this application is in the upper range of what the silicone can handle. It is noted in the instructions that these will need to be replaced periodically. Customers that need to replace these more often than usual are typically running their engine too lean or using the wrong oil which is causing higher than normal exhaust temperatures.

I would not suggest using the muffler repair material as it does not offer the flexibility and will crack and cause more problems, leaks later.

There is nothing wrong with getting the joints welded. However you will lose your ability to tune and welding copper and steel doesn't work. Replacing the copper with steel is a possibility but good luck finding a male to female 45 degree fitting. Welding or brazing will also cause the system to be very rigid and cause metal fatigue/cracks at any weak point in the system.

Please post some photos and maybe we can assist a little more.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
hey guys i bought a sbp pipe i used the long piece of copper from the mount to the header pipe and used the silicon to seal it i guess as ive seen on other bikes, i thought it was weird and was wondering why the silicon doesnt melt well i figured it out it does melt who would figure that, well now i was thinking of using those special fiberglass strips and the special resin you use to patch muflers and such instead of the silicon over the copper, i was wondering if anyone else has alternetive solutions to my problem. Also i was wondering if i should replace the copper tubing with a steel one and just weld it all in place :D:-||
I've been using my same seal pieces for two years. And it was very hot riding this summer. IF the silicone actually melted, then your engine must be running very lean or some other not so good thing is causing it to run quite hot. In fact, we've never had a customer actually melt the silicone. As Jim said, after a few years of hard riding, it might get a bit crunchy. Just curious - did you follow our installation and tuning instructions? We will be glad to send you replacement seals (the smaller ID tubing pieces) if you contact us off line.

Pipe Installation Instructions

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
And now for something completely different..........(Monty Python reference) I just came back from the store this morning here in Ft Collins at 8:00am, the temp....... -4% blow zero and noticed that ...... Yes at this temp the silicon on my SBP pipe tightens up sealing the exhaust even tighter and gives it a really, really cool (no pun intended) exhaust note enough to make the guy in the car that pulled up next to me to roll down his window (a very daring move at -4 below) and ask "Hey is that a 125cc engine"..... LOL . My response was "Yeah I wish.....LOL".

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I just ordered a sbp pipe and am really stoked to get it. How big of a performance gain?
Pretty decent. Real torque and real speed gains. Probably the best bang for the buck bolt on.

Pretty stoked - got our first pipe review in Spanish:

Yo akabo de recibir el expansion chamber y es tremendo subo cuestas que antes subia a 18mph ahora las subo a 35mph yo no lo podia creer (no es mentira es cierto) les recomiendo que si lo compran tambnn compren el kit d camisilla tapa y piston que yeva la bujia de lado le aumenta la comprecion! MUY BUEN EXPANCION CHAMBER!!!
I received the expansion to chamber and am tremendous I increase on hills that before I took at 18mph now I am over them at 35mph - not to believe it (it is not lie is certain) I recommend to them that buys (the pipe) also they buy kit gasket/head and piston that increases compression to thr engine! VERY GOOD EXPANSION CHAMBER!
Chrome pipe reviews

Black pipe reviews

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
yah i figured im not much for fancy as i am for practical and yes your pipe as you already know is rock solid kick ass piece of magical upgrade to these little china girls, i recently bought a morini and i nkow how important the pipe is do you think your pipe will enable this mean machine of an engine to perform its best or should i invest in something more pricey and made for the engine?