Is this to much?

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Nice bike, $1200+ bike.......nope

But still not bad, engine never run, so unproven, would still need broken in, tuned, not sure what the add means by 20mm axle, that's is in the 13/16'' range I'm not sure that my motorcycle has axles that big.

All this said, the value of something always really boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it, I'm sure someone might pay that price but not many I would think.

If that bike was set up real nice with a Morini engine then yeah but for me, as much as I like all my china girl bikes I would never drop a grand on any bike that someone just bolted a $80 china 2 smoker on with a couple added parts.

Is that bike really worth $1200 without the $80 engine? Nah......!

still nice though... Shrug

Peace, Map
That bike is definitely not worth that price but it does indeed look like a 20mm front axle, they use them on downhill mountain bikes, that must be a downhill fork and hub. I dont recognise the brand of fork though. They run 20mm axles to avoid flexing and breakage of axles. The same bikes will usually run an oversized 12mm rear axle.

I have a 20mm axle on my downhill bike as well as my jump/trails MTB, and many MTB hubs are now sold to accept either a 20mm thru axle or a quick release skewer. I have one of these hubs on my Villiers bike and am in the process of changing it to accept a standard solid axle for that "vintage" look.

Heres my hub ready to accept a quick release skewer

Heres the same hub with adaptors removed and you can see how they accept a 20mm axle

Ive often wondered why ive never seen the 20mm thru axle or 12mm rear axle hubs/wheels used on here by some of you race guys. You can get forks in either single or double crown forks to accept a 20mm axle, and they really do make a big difference in the ride quality you get.... ive never considered using them as im more interested in vintage builds.

Heres a single crown setup

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=...tbnw=192&start=21&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:21

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow, that is a huge front axle for a bike, you just learned me something there, never seen one of those before, those would be great on the Mb's for extra strength for sure, thanks for the pics and for teaching me something here.

Peace, Map

That bike is definitely not worth that price but it does indeed look like a 20mm front axle, they use them on downhill mountain bikes, that must be a downhill fork and hub. I dont recognise the brand of fork though. They run 20mm axles to avoid flexing and breakage of axles. The same bikes will usually run an oversized 12mm rear axle.

I have a 20mm axle on my downhill bike as well as my jump/trails MTB, and many MTB hubs are now sold to accept either a 20mm thru axle or a quick release skewer. I have one of these hubs on my Villiers bike and am in the process of changing it to accept a standard solid axle for that "vintage" look.

Heres my hub ready to accept a quick release skewer

Heres the same hub with adaptors removed and you can see how they accept a 20mm axle

Ive often wondered why ive never seen the 20mm thru axle or 12mm rear axle hubs/wheels used on here by some of you race guys. You can get forks in either single or double crown forks to accept a 20mm axle, and they really do make a big difference in the ride quality you get.... ive never considered using them as im more interested in vintage builds.

Heres a single crown setup

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?hl=...tbnw=192&start=21&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:21