stock air cleaner mod?

GoldenMotor.com

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
Hi all, i was wondering if you guys think opening up the stock air cleaner would do anything for performance? i had something like the picture in mind(bottom view) but even a few extra 1/2" holes in the filter housing, or chopping off the 3 "tubes" would prob do the trick. what do you guys think?

Attachments

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
My answer is "I don't know". BUT, while looking mine over and running the numbers I found that the total square inches of the tubes was nearly identical to the square inches of the carb throat. Additional holes might decrease the filter's resistance to air flow by distributing the intake over a broader surface area on the filter element, but altering the tubes wont do much. Just my opinion. The pros here probably have a better answer for you.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have done that...better performance.... Nope! But it did stop the whistling sound that drove me crazy till I realized that's what it was.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Replacing it w/a expansion chamber FTW ;) Anything else (other than port matching) is so marginal as to be pretty much not worth the effort/consequences.

Making sure the hole in the exhaust flange, it's gasket, and the engine's exhaust port are as close to the same size as possible does help provide a smoother running engine w/a bit more top end - but if you really wanna see a gain, it's defo an expansion chamber yer after (^)

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
i was thinking about one but i honestly dont have the 70 bucks laying around right now. also i dont know how well i could install one and i like the simplicity of the stock one. as of now im just looking for little cheap mods that "fix" the problem ths kit comes with.

ive made new gaskets and matched them, ive ground down the exhaust and intake quite a bit, not exactly matching but better than before, replaced plug and wire with new ones from SBP.

next im gonna cut this air cleaner down to stop that damn whistling noise and possibly make some sort of vibration dampener for both the LHS and RHS covers.