Switching from 2stroke to 4

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I am considering switch to a 4 stroke engine. Few questions.

1) How simple is the setup? On the two stroke, its basically a bolt on.
2) How loud is it? My two stroke is a little too loud, are these quieter?
3) I have a 32T sprocket. My two stroke hits 35 MPH. With a decent 4 stroke, will it be the same? Or better?
4) Whats a good 4 stroke thats around like 200-250 bucks that can be shipped to California?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
you will love the 4 stroke.. i had the 2 and only after 50 miles i tossed out the 2 storke..

4 is quieter wont vibrate dont have to mix fuel.. its an easy kit to install..

options.. and please do this.. replace all bolts on your bike and engine kit engine mount with grade 8 trust me.. and if you use the cheap chain tensioner in the kit drill a hole in the middle between the 2 bolts though your frame and use grad 8 bolt its either that or have it loosen up and go into your spokes and throw you off at 30 mph which happened to me ... take in to account that once you do that sproket size needs to remain the same since you wont be able to go up and down in size without moveing it forward or backward so make sure you have the right combo of gear set up finalized you like..

get a better spark plug they come with cheap chinese ones go with the ngk one get it at your local lawn mower shop

get a good fuel filter trust me the stock ones suck and you will be stranded when it plugs your carb...

get good puncture resistant inner tubes thick ones5mm and a tire liner so thorns dont get you.. your bike will weigh more will be harder to pedal

always keep your tank full just a hair under the inner lip of the tank that it comes with other wise it will cause gase to suck back up and out the top of your cap.. caps are vented..

these are all things that happened to me and i went though **** to figure it out...

good luck..

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
btw if you go on ebay they wont ship you a kit a 4 storke one due to californias stickt policies so go to a local guy or call terry blow.. www.blowbyu.ca hes a good guy has a lot of stuff. and if yo ureally wanna go 35 mph its not worth it stick to around 25 trust me.. when a car door opens on you because your rideing the bike lane do you really wanna fly off that fast... just use a 44 toothed sproket or a 56.. and these bikes arent hill climbers they will do little grades depending on weight..

also get yourself a hd axle kit and rim combo it has freewheel so when you let off the gas your chain stops

theres other things onece you get the kit id be happy to help with form welding up the bearing to little things i noticed..

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I was looking at the Super Titan from ThatsDax. It has 3HP. I ride now at 35 MPH, so I definitely don't want to go slower. I have a motorcycle and I have been put into many risky situations, so the things that have happened to me on a motorized bike don't worry me as much.

How do you mount 4 strokes in the frame of the bike? What side is the chain drive?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I was looking at the Super Titan from ThatsDax. It has 3HP. I ride now at 35 MPH, so I definitely don't want to go slower. I have a motorcycle and I have been put into many risky situations, so the things that have happened to me on a motorized bike don't worry me as much.

How do you mount 4 strokes in the frame of the bike? What side is the chain drive?
riding a motorcyle and bike are very diffrent.. a motorcyle you have to remain in traffic you have the power to pull out of situations and your going at similar speeds with a bike you have to remain in the bike lane with cars wizzing behind you car doors suddenly opening up etc.. just some advice keep it at slower speeds.. youll thank me when you fall off at 35 because your chain went into your wheel or something like that.. plus thats 100% of the engines capacity it will wear out faster... thats just my opinion....

chain drives the same side left side and it mounts with a flat plate engine mount and connects to your seat down tube and your front down tube just make sure its level and use lock tight on all the bolts dont know if i mentioned it but ditch the rag joint for the rear sproket when it comes with it they are so dangerouse and just destroy the wheel spokes alighment etc.. get a hd axle rim cobo then you just bolt up the sproket to the free wheel and your chain is striaght...
the 4 storkes are great little kits if you dont expect to much of these things..

2 strokes and 4's arent really the greatest thing they are pumped out of some factory in china under terrible work standardsi saw a video once of how they make them.. they were beating a seal in with a hammer not a seal tool which tents to dent the seal causeing crank case leaks on the 2 storkes

in china they make so many of these its rediculouse....

now the hueaseng is the same motor as the honda the honda is expensive but worth it if you have the extra money only diffrence honda japanese made tight tollerances better quality hueaseng same thing but not as good tollerances and its a rip off of the honda.. but far cheaper at 180 bucks compared to 500... the honda uses the 4 g with the 5/8 shaft or you can go american transmission q matic for around 600 out the door from terry blow..

ebay might not sell them due to california regs.. i had a hard time getting one so i talked to a local guy that gets them somehow

anyway ive babbled on enough theres alot of info on this site.. but if money isnt your worry go with the honda and they make a go cart cvt tranny basically a go kart site on the net could sell you one it fits the 5/8 shaft only and is the best option the q matic is good but the cvt is basically a gear so it shifts smothly where the q is one output gear so takes offs are harder on it slower etc..

theres tons of options.. i have the 4g with the tapered shaft which has the ball bearing supports the 5/8 honda has the oilite bushing which tends to seize if you dont soak it in oil once every few hundred miles.. yea theres good things and bad about engine combos no one has really hashed out a solid realible version..

also the carbs tend to clog leaving you stranded happened to me so get a good external fuel filter i could take pics of my set up and show you what ive done and explain everything more in detail

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hmm I see. Can you elaborate a little more on engines and transmissions? Do you need to buy both or do they come with one? I was looking at getting this:

ENGINES_FOR_SALE_1

The Super Titan. Does if I buy that for $239, will that be everything I need? I already have everything else from my 2 stroke kit, fuel tank, filters, etc. Or Do i need to buy some kind of transmission for that motor?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Hmm I see. Can you elaborate a little more on engines and transmissions? Do you need to buy both or do they come with one? I was looking at getting this:

ENGINES_FOR_SALE_1

The Super Titan. Does if I buy that for $239, will that be everything I need? I already have everything else from my 2 stroke kit, fuel tank, filters, etc. Or Do i need to buy some kind of transmission for that motor?
sure i can elborate... basically the hondas from sites and terry come with the 4g tranny a belt driven tranny

heres the break down

honda motor=4g but with 100toothed gear,oillight bushing for the clutch, 5/8 shaft so you can use a cvt from a gocart shop if you want best choice ever. or the q matic american made single speed with go cart clutch.. stock hondas have a custom clutch since they have a 5/8 shaft oilite bushing you have to oil every so many miles meaning take apart your tranny soak the bushing in oil over night etc a big hastle

huesang=4g tranny but one way bearings fail after 50 miles they have a revised one but i never used it and i dont trust the chinese to fix it so i weleded it did i had to weld mine solid works fine now seeing how i got the hd axle has a freewheel build in which is what the one way bearing does but fails... 4g tranny comes with high quailty bearings sealed for the clutch never have to oil this engine has a tapered shaft and a stock i said stock clutch meaning its been proven to work so you can get parts easy for it the arms the springs etc.. although the springs are so tight full throttle is requiered for driving almost... to aliviate this i got some smaller springs from my homedepot store and bent them like the stock ones now i take off just after i barely touch the throttle.. take into account they could break because the stock ones are heat treated these are not its a risk..

husang=also has a 5/8 shaft version dont buy it unless you use the qmatic or a cvt because then you have to realise oilte bushing sucks..

there are so many rediculouse botched versions that its difficult to figure it out.

my advice is buy the huesang with the tapered shaft stock clutch and 4g tranny.. then you have the bearings the stock clutch and can go to a qmatic since they make one for it now.. terry also said its the best option i had to find this out over trial and error..

PROBLEMS IVE ENCOUNTERED THAT ARE KNOWN AND NOT KNOWN= 4g tranny one way bearing fails solution weld inner race to outter race on both sides grind down smooth paint and done.....................

clutch springs are way to tight there is no replacement buying diffrent ones wont solve it.. so the clutch needs 75% thorttle to engage then barely engages so it burns the shoes and clutch if your a big guy like me after 2 blocks the clutch stops working till it cools down...... soluton get softer springs i found a good combo that work might need tweeking to engage for more throttle seeing how more throttle makes mroe power for take off but now im not worried

engine mounting bolts break and or loosen=replace them with grade 8 bolts washers etc and lock tight them

always lock tight your entire bike bolts even your seat and especially replace your fenders if you use them with tougher brackets and grade 8 bolts and lock tight

as far as that engine its just the engine go here http://www.blowbyu.ca/90301.html he has a list of engines or here 4-Stroke Engine Kits

2nd link dont get the engine on the right with the hoot tranny they are known problems get the one for 369 with the 4g

get a seperate fuel filter from an auto parts store inline one not for a car or truck for small engine.. then find a place that you can get a fuel tank pepcock a better one... the one that coems with it still leaks when shut off and is junk

get better fuel line from a lawnmower shop one that comes with it is junk
get better bolts grade 8 or higher with lock urithane lock nuts not cheap but worth it do this for your whole bike and kit

get a spare chain link its size 415 the link snap ring etc and carry it with you in a bike kit with patch repair a screw driver small pliers etc so if the link comes off and it will mine did i put it in backwards closed end face towards engine when its at the top of the chain....

dont bother installing the rag joint that comes with the kit it loosensbreaks spokes after a while and is only temp from what i hear

get a hd axle kit from terry 150 bucks - shipping comes with a rim all assebled easy to put on the sproket it bolts on then you can buy other sproktes and try diffrent combos for speed small hill climb etc... best option is a sick bike parts shift kit for the 4 storkes 200 bucks plus shipp there are problems asociated with that if you want that ill be happy to tell you what i know

ive learned you have to bug people and talk to everyone even if a guy dosent know anything to figure stuff out ive talked and bugged to countless people to get the info i needed or give me the idea on how to fix it..

terry blow outta know 200 emails later :) hes a good guy for info and like that not one person knows everything i might of missed something...

i will snap pics of my bike what ive done point to them with descrptions in a day or so so you get a visual clue

this is soooo much info im sorry its alot to take in this is over a year of info ive gathered i have more ill

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Wow, lots of information. Basically I still don't know. If I buy the motor that I posted a link too, will it work? Or will I have to get some kind of transmission?

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Wow, lots of information. Basically I still don't know. If I buy the motor that I posted a link too, will it work? Or will I have to get some kind of transmission?
that is just the motor you will have to get the mounting plate gas tank throttle cable and grips chain etc.. all this seperat cost alot more than a kit.. i suggest a kit i gave you the sites to go to to get kits

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Well like I mentioned. i have a 2 stroke kit. I have a gas tank, throttle cable, grips, chain, etc. I have everything. Except a 4 stroke motor and a mountain plate.

And I really appreciate you taking time and writing all of this information for me.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well like I mentioned. i have a 2 stroke kit. I have a gas tank, throttle cable, grips, chain, etc. I have everything. Except a 4 stroke motor and a mountain plate.
You would need a transmission or gearbox for the 4 stroke motor.
Also the right sized rear sprocket would have more teeth than
your 2 stroke and I would recommend upgrading to a #41 chain.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have a 44 tooth sprocket, and I use the #41 chain. Where would I get a gearbox?
A 44 tooth sprocket is too small to use with any 4 stroke gearbox that
I would recommend.
What gearboxes you can use depends upon what 4 stroke motor you buy.

What is the problem with buying the whole 4 stroke kit?
You are not going to save money by buying the parts separately.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
There isn't a problem buying a whole kit, I just have no idea in terms of 4 strokes where to look. The website that I was referencing too earlier, Thatsdax, They don't sell the in frame mounted kit yet. And I like the motor they have, seems pretty powerful. But again I have no idea. What websites offer full kits? I looked at gasbike.net, but I hear they are really bad to deal with.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There isn't a problem buying a whole kit, I just have no idea in terms of 4 strokes where to look. The website that I was referencing too earlier, Thatsdax, They don't sell the in frame mounted kit yet. And I like the motor they have, seems pretty powerful. But again I have no idea. What websites offer full kits? I looked at gasbike.net, but I hear they are really bad to deal with.
49cc 4G T Belt Drive Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit - $379.99

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
a quality 4 stroke from subaru or honda will blow away any chineezze 2 stroke engine, you get what you pay for, on all of our bikes we use only 4 stroke and never have had a problem or issue, they start on the first pull and work great