MTB with F&R disc brakes

GoldenMotor.com

ross59

Sep 25, 2013
Johnson City Tn
Hi all my name is Ross.

What I am planning doing is putting a 80 cc on the hard trail mtb I got with disc brake's. I also have a jackshaft to put on it.

Who has built a MTB with disc brake's be-for??

And do you fine the disc brakes better at slowing and stoppusflging the bike easier then other type of brake's??

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Hi and welcome to the motorbicycling forum Ross,

Are you going to use a frame triangle mounted 80cc L.H. chain drive kit? If so, you will (of course) need to mount the rear drive sprocket in place of the rear brake disc which can be done with the help of Kings Sales and Service:

http://www.kingssalesandservice.com/motorized-bike-sprockets/

This company can also set you up with a combination rear brake disc/sprocket that can be used with, or without, a rear disc brake. If your frame is equipped with rear canti or V brake bosses you can just mount the sprocket to the ISO standard 6 bolt disc brake hub (if equipped) and switch your rear brake over to a canti or V brake caliper (you'll probably need to change the rear brake handlebar lever and holder to match the brake type). You might also be able to adopt a rear center-pull brake system as well.

This has been done on motorized bicycles before, I'm just not sure if anyone has done it on a MTB though.

Here's a thread that can shed more light on the subject:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=4072

FurryOnTheInside

Sep 30, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Fabian's bike, is the one and only mountainbike with front and rear disk brakes and a jackshaft, that I've seen, that approaches the kind of build I'm envisaging as your planned build, which is also the type of bike I'm planning to build. Although his is a little cluttered with lights and electronic whizzbangs for my liking. ;) but that helps him test stuff out, so we can all learn for free from his expensive.. trial and error. *respect*

Should be no problem building a bike with disk brake compatability, if you're using your shift kit. :)
On racing tandems (road or mtb) they often use both F&R disks, AND a front rim v-brake. This is because brakes convert kinetic energy to heat (and sound) so dragging rim brakes as for constant speed moderation on long hills will overheat the rims causing tyres to over-inflate, possibly causing blow-outs. The tandem riders drag only the disks, then use the front rim brake when they need to brake hard to stop or to slow down. If the disk heats so much that it loses ability to moderate the speed, then the captain will opt to use the rim brakes perhaps 1/3 of the time and the disk 2/3 of the time thus allowing each to cool before reaching a critical temperature and failing. This technique of using the rim brake for the hard braking also has the effect of protecting the front spokes which are stressed under hard braking on a heavily loaded bike such as a tandem. You need a fork with both v-brake bosses and a disk brake mount to do this, or have some type of converter which will be a bit more difficult to set up. A tandem carries a lot more weight than a motorised bicycle with only one rider; so using disk AND rim brakes up front should be unnessasary unless you're pulling a trailer and a lot of cargo on serious descents.
Personally I would not recommend using a dual-pull lever on any type of bicycle brake.

ross59

Sep 25, 2013
Johnson City Tn
First of all I want to thank each person who replied to my post for your info and help.

This will be my 6 th motorized bicycle that I had some one put together for me. But this is my first MTB with disc brake's on F&R wheel's. Well the first disc brakes I ever had on a bike.

The bike frame is 18 in high so the 80cc motor fit's inside of the V frame just fine. And the frame is made of steel and only work with disc brakes. There No way to instill any other type of brake's on this bike. So I would have to put a jack shaft to drive the front gears and peddle on it any way.

On the other bike's the tire's had to be 26 x 1.95 no wider so the chain could get pass the back one with out rubbing on it. And this bike has 26 x 2.35 so I don't be-live the drive chain would pass the tire of this size. So with the jack shaft I wont have to buy new 26 x 1.95 tire's that save me money.

And once again thank's for all your reply's to this posting !!!.
:-||

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2013
Wichita KS
My next hard tail MTN bike will have a jackshaft and F&R disc breaks. But that'll most likly be my winter build. My current build will be a single speed hard tail MTN bike that I'm going to try to push to 50mph.