First Bike Progress report.

GoldenMotor.com

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Ok I purchased a complete bike. I know now I should have researched, particularly this site, before I purchased but I do most things bassakwords.
Anywho, having a lot of fun and learning lots about this hobby. So far I have broken my spokes,purchased new wheels. Overtightend the tank causing a leak, and had to purchase tools and supplies AND learn to braze. Done!

I have replaced the engine, thanks Fred. Rewired and added cool plug wire set. Solderied all connections and shrink wrapped instead of the gooey gas eaten black tape that came originally. Changed out the handle bars. added a mirror I found in my garage from some BMW motorcycle of past. Added lights, front and back. Multiple brake pad changes until I learned what "toe in" means. Fixed two flats because the original wheels were deep v design that seems to pinch tubes

Thats about it for now. Wait on Mr. UPS for SBP nickle plate exspansion chamber exhaust and some chrome doodads. Then I think I might be done.

I still have the original motor so when done with this learning experience I think I will build another and see just how inexpensivly I can do it. I certainly have paid enough tuition on this one.

I could not have done any of this without this site so thanks guys and I hope to be around here for a while. This is what she looks like now. I will get some good photos outside with nice back ground when completed.

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Love the bike, looks like all your headaches paid off.
Curious, is your cdi box nearly up against your engine? I don't know enough to be handing out advice but I would worry about water splashing on it and the heat doing crazy things to the wiring. Or perhaps that's the perfect location lol.
Dan.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Yes under the motor. I put 3 coats of Plasti coat on it. Do not know if that is a bad thing or not. It will keep the water out but don't know about over heating or any othe bugger that could happen but we will see.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Yes under the motor. I put 3 coats of Plasti coat on it. Do not know if that is a bad thing or not. It will keep the water out but don't know about over heating or any othe bugger that could happen but we will see.
Please keep us updated on this, its a cool placement for the CDI.

Dan.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Not trying to burst your bubble but on your next build you'll start wanting to do a lot of different things and go through it all over again. That's why we love this hobby so much just when you think you've got it all figured out, you discover there's so much more to learn. Nice ride.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Maniak57 you are right. I hate that thing. Scares the crap outta me. I ordered the Engine mounted tensioner from Turbobuick here on the site. Looks like a great alternative to going without, which was my plan. I figured that I could keep an eye on it and be vigilant about sloppiness, rather than worry about that thing hitting the spokes. Plus I think the standared tensioner adds a lot of friction and drag. Certainly make more noise than I want.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maniak57 you are right. I hate that thing. Scares the crap outta me. I ordered the Engine mounted tensioner from Turbobuick here on the site. Looks like a great alternative to going without, which was my plan. I figured that I could keep an eye on it and be vigilant about sloppiness, rather than worry about that thing hitting the spokes. Plus I think the standared tensioner adds a lot of friction and drag. Certainly make more noise than I want.
I don't care for spring tensioners myself, but the one you mention is a very nice piece! It is much better than the stocker on an aluminum frame simply because it won't destroy a wheel! If your sprocket is centered well, you won't need much slack in the chain anyway.
You sound like you know what you're doing pretty good and obviously have the right approach to this addiction.
Enjoy!

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
I have had lots of "wheels" of all sorts over the years and I can't think of anything that has entertained me this much. Well maybe the 64 Ferrari. Just kidding no Ferrari but I think it might be a close contest...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My personal favorite was a 1975 Maico 501.
Deadly fast and capable of excavating a trench until you ran out of gas.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Making some progress. Got rid of the tensioner. I spent so much time making sure that the chain was tigh and centered, I did not even notice that the tensione wheel was not spinning. DUH, what a dummy. Big grooves worn on the top. No wonder it made so much noise and felt like crap. I guess I thought that is just the way it is. New one on and what a difference.

Made a heat shield out old Harley shield laying around. Added new 415H chain from the Moped store. I thought this would be it but NOOOO I think I have to have front suspension and front disk brake.

Added cheapo speedo, prolly not accurate at all, but says hitting 57 KMH. Can figure out how to get it to read mph. LOL. Thought I wanted shift kit but not now. Chicago city streets way to holy for any more speed. Maybe after the front end work.

Still have temporary tank on as deciding on which chrome one to use.

At this rate I wonder if I will ever be Done???

Thanks for looking.

David

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' awesome, David. Good job.

JMHO, but the tank looks good black. Prolly not as good as the chrome is gonna look but does kinda round out the contrasting.

LOL, they are really never truly done. There are some lulls here and there but some thing always comes up or needs tending to. The only time the tinkering really stops is when you start working on another one.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Neby update: Today I switched the rear 44 kit sprocket with a 36 tooth.

Nice upgrade. Faster now, in fact, faster than I wanna go in the city. The best part is nice low rpm's for cruising. Gotta pedal to start but I like that keeps the po po away...