Crank bearing seals

GoldenMotor.com

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Hello, I have a grubee gt 5 it slowly started to run worse and worse...Its got about 3400 abused miles on it and still has 120psi compression,,never had a problem with this motor so I would like to fix ....Started checking for air leaks and noticed smoke coming from the clutch side output shaft...So im thinking bearing seal ..Ive done them on mopeds a few times without a lot of hassel ,,,just get the old one out and replace... Not sure if they are the same on these motors ??? Any tricks or things I should know before hand???

I see one site might have the part but no description on this???looks like the seals on the right??

http://speeddemon.ca/motorized-bicycles/parts/gasket-set-49cc.html

Anyone know where I can just buys the seals ???

Any help would be great THANK YOU

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Piston Bikes sells Gubee so I would check there.

http://www.pistonbikes.com/?Click=73

The crank seals are very easy to replace. Here's a view of each side. You'll need a puller tool like in the first pic for the gear side. Almost every motorized bicycle vender sells the tool.

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
O sweet biknut so I have that puller (it comes with the kit) So I get the gear off then pick and pry the seal out??? Replace carefull by tapping in the new one ???

Whats with the inner seal??? I need to crack the case to do the whole job???

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
O sweet biknut so I have that puller (it comes with the kit) So I get the gear off then pick and pry the seal out??? Replace carefull by tapping in the new one ???

Whats with the inner seal??? I need to crack the case to do the whole job???
No need to split the cases. Just remove the pinion gear, and the clutch gear to replace the power side seal, and remove the magneto rotor to replace the weak side seal.

The weak side seal is usually a thiner seal than the power side seal.

You got the right idea, just pick out the old seal, and tap a new one in.

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Ok thank you !!! Yeah if I had to remove the motor it would be getting a new one ...No time for all that ... But thanks

Any other info is still great ,,,keepem coming guys

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hello ! so I have the seal !!! Now can someone direct me to how to remove the clutch gear ???
The same tool that removes the pinion gear also removes the clutch gear, but you use the other end of the tool. So in other words you turn the tool around.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, that's backwards. The seal lips should go toward the inside. The seal will need to be driven in with either a seal driver or a socket that is just a little smaller than the outside diamter of the seal. You must get it started square to the bore before attempting to drive it in. Don't beat it to death, just gently tap the seal all the way down until it seats.
Lubricate the seal and crankshaft with whatever oil you use in your mix. It will pre-lube the seal so it isn't dry when you first start the engine after reassembly. Do this before you drive the seal in.

Tom

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
Thank you 2 door !!!! I would have seen this if there was a seal to remove before ,,But there was just a thin 0 shape bit of metal,,lol I cant belive I had a air leak that bad and it still was running,,,Huge jet of course....

So yeah the seals in and up and running (way better) shes doing 34-36mph again and maybe a couple more thousand miles??? we will see ...