54 Schwinn 24'' DX My Next Race Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I finally got back on this project. Installed a larger carb from a chain saw and she really came alive. Pulls hard and winds out fine. Now I can change to the 36 spoke wheels I've been preparing. Still need to put pedal cranks on it and some protective guards and be ready to ride it to Donut Derelicts. If it holds up to the 13 mile round trip, I'll strip it down for paint.

L]

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That turned out very nice Dale......I say a nice paint job is in order without hesitation. The custom gauge bracket adds to the style of that fine mo-sheen....well done!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks scotto, it turns out it will never be a race bike. The motor affords no internal mods with the headless design and plastic cam. The bigger carb makes it pull about like a stock 5hp Briggs. Also the go kart clutch engages very violently until I lighten or make some new weights. It's made to launch a much heavier vehicle. Like a car with a high stall torque converter. May need more flywheel weight. I'll get it ironed out soon.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
sb, I keep finding throw away lamps at work because everything is going LED. May be a blue one somewhere but I think red is the most risky I'll go. Thanks for all your encouragement and support these past years. It keeps me interested in finishing some of these projects with new ideas and designs.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks scotto, it turns out it will never be a race bike. The motor affords no internal mods with the headless design and plastic cam. The bigger carb makes it pull about like a stock 5hp Briggs. Also the go kart clutch engages very violently until I lighten or make some new weights. It's made to launch a much heavier vehicle. Like a car with a high stall torque converter. May need more flywheel weight. I'll get it ironed out soon.
I figured the change in direction of the build, but none the less, it's an awesome "one of a kind" and you just gotta love that! You don't have to race to win, necessarily.....but you still have to race for fun and to keep you young, so I hope to see you in October at Grange ;)

We miss your color and spirit at the races......pack your toys and bring them up to the the show! Maybe take an abalone iron to your grandson Greg and pry him off the couch as well......hope too see you there once again!

scotto-

Gilbert is giving me a little kickback for the Briggs support you bring to the races.....don't let us down :D

Last edited:

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
what rear hub is that? also can you tell me how to find the sprocket you are using that comes off the clutch. I'm using #35 chain and a 36 tooth.. i need one a little bigger.. thanks

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Installed the stronger wheels today. That larger front brake is awesome. I drilled some lightening holes in the primary jack shaft sprocket and mounted the carb more securely. Still have to bend the pedal cranks to clear the clutch and pull starter, make a guard for the primary, beef up the axle adjusters, find some fork rubbers, shorten the jack shaft, make a front brake cable slip clamp, figure out the clutch, etc. etc.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Scotto, I appreciate the comments. I casually mentioned to Wyatt that the bike would make it around the track a lot faster with him on it. Boy, was that a mistake. I didn't think his dad would go for it but he was totally on board. So, there is a possibility I will be at the race if things go well. I love the pressure!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
what rear hub is that? also can you tell me how to find the sprocket you are using that comes off the clutch. I'm using #35 chain and a 36 tooth.. i need one a little bigger.. thanks
The rear hub is from a '70s moped. I don't recall what make or model, but is typical of most from that era and can be found on ebay and swap meets. The sprocket uses #35 chain and came from McMaster-Carr Co.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto, I appreciate the comments. I casually mentioned to Wyatt that the bike would make it around the track a lot faster with him on it. Boy, was that a mistake. I didn't think his dad would go for it but he was totally on board. So, there is a possibility I will be at the race if things go well. I love the pressure!
Go with the pressure, live the pressure......love the pressure! We'll see you all there, bring the brigg's to back life as well...ya gotta race something :)

Glad to see you finishing up on this unique build......that's what it's really about!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I got my acetylene filled today and finished bending my pedal cranks. Used my home made guide to make sure they're straight.

They came out real nice and felt great. Installed some cool narrow pedals.

I made a little slipper guide for the front brake cable.

Then turned each clutch spring screw in two full turns and test road it. No more clutch chatter. It took off smooth and ran well. Falls off at around 8200 rpms or so. If it's still a little lean, maybe it needs some altitude to run best. Like Grange or similar elevation. Looks like I'm ready for Donut Derelicts anyway. Oops, I still need a rear brake cable and a primary guard. Always something to do.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Still trying to get ready for the race. I made a guard for the primary drive and got some Hookworms. Still need to put the number plate on and check Wyatt out riding it. If I don't like his lap times, I may try it myself.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice work on the clutch guard... really cool looking and fits in with the rest of the bike nicely...
What kind of power does that engine make? Just out of curiosity...

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Dave. The engine was originally rated at 3hp in a BR500 backpack blower at around 5400 rpms, where the BR600 with a different carb and module got 4hp and more rpms. By taking off the impeller, restrictive muffler and air filter, it gets over 8000 rpms and probably another hp. I had to install a carb that was about 1 1/2 times larger than stock to keep it from starving at high revs. The unique feature of this little motor is the dry sump. It uses mixed fuel like a 2 stroke but it's a push rod overhead valve 4 stroke. I've only got about 25 miles or so on the bike, so the real test will be the race at Grange this weekend. If Wyatt doesn't wreck it on the track, I'm going to tear it down and paint it up real nice. Might even check with Norm on an in frame tank he suggested. My machinist buddy, Dan, is making me a larger, heavier flywheel for the clutch side to make it more rideable on the street. I may put a brake band around the flywheel for a rear brake. It depends on how much room I have. In any case, as you know, these projects are rarely totally finished.