rich/lean

GoldenMotor.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i have built 35 or more china girls but i have never understood what the term 'running to rich' is actually referring to?? too much gas in the ratio or too much oil??
i know what position to move the ratio clip up or down to make it richer or leaner but what is it actuall effecting, gas or oil??

TIA
gubba

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
It's the mixture of gas and air, determined by the carburetor. The oil ratio also plays a small role in all this since more oil equals less gas and thus, less gas in the gas/air ratio (lean).

steptoe1111

Dec 2, 2011
uranus
i have built 35 or more china girls but i have never understood what the term 'running to rich' is actually referring to?? too much gas in the ratio or too much oil??
i know what position to move the ratio clip up or down to make it richer or leaner but what is it actuall effecting, gas or oil??

TIA
gubba
what do you meen by the ratio clip ??? do you meen the choke lever because on mine i have no fuel air mixture screws all that is set by the carb and i only have a choke lever on mine to make it rich for cold starts
as for afecting gas or oil if there is oil in your fuel mix being a 2 stroke there should be it will be afecting it both cause there mixed together aplying the choke just helps more fuel to drawn through the carburetta but if you put more oil in you fuel mix it will run leaner as the fuel will be a bit thicker and the less oil you put in the mix will be thinner hence a richer motor that is why feul mix ratio on two strokes is so important to be exact with your mesurements when mixing too ensure proper running