Decreasing parasitic clutch/drivetrain drag

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
My bike is already set on a really low gear, and when I pedal, it seems like it's awfully tough to push the bike when the clutch is disengaged.

Are there any tricks for fixing this? I've fiddled with the clutch but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Would replacing the spring with a better one help?

r.ly.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There will always be perceptable drag created mostly by that motor chain.
Most expensive remedy is to add a jackshaft/shift kit.
Less expensive is the freewheeling rear motor sprocket from HybriPed.
Least expensive solution is to tolerate the drag and raise (lower?) the gearing on the pedal chain. It will be easier to pedal if you use a smaller chain ring up front or larger cog in the rear.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like your clutch may be dragging some. Try adjusting nearly all the slack out of the cable. If it gets hard to start engine turnover when starting, slack off a little bit.
Also, the lock button doesn't hold the lever but about 75% in. Pull it all the way in by hand, and you will notice much less pedal resistance.

dawa31

Sep 25, 2011
Wiliamsport, PA
I also noticed this problem in the past and yes adjusting the cable is the only thing I can get to work. All tho I'm readjusting it every 2 to 3 weeks. :-||

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, I've been riding this bike for a while now. It seems to me like it got more drag as time went on. I've used a good amount of grease on all moving parts so I don't think that's an issue.

I'm going to try adjusting the slack on the cable and I think I'm going to try getting a stronger spring just to see if it makes any difference.

dawa31

Sep 25, 2011
Wiliamsport, PA
I think the stronger spring idea will only result in your cable slipping more. I read in hear where you can adjust the clutch using the "Flower nut" but haven't figured out how to loosen / tighten the nut yet. zpt

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, I have adjusted the flower nut plenty of times. If your clutch ever slips too much, I once took the pads out and soaked them in iso alcohol and detergent. Let 'em try and put them back in and that pretty much solved it. I think some of the grease I used got in there so that's why it started slipping.

The flower nut is actually pretty easy to adjust, but they never go over that in the chinee instructions. After you take out the small stopper screw, you have to hold in the clutch lever and keep it in while you try to turn the flower nut. You can usually do it with your fingers, but if not, I usually use a screwdriver(turning the nut by pushing the little grooves).