Newbee first build which engine question

GoldenMotor.com

fozworth

Feb 16, 2014
UNITED KINGDOM
I'm building my first bike with a phantom / felt cruiser tank frame n .I'm just trying to figure out if the complete 66cc china kits advertised on eBay are worth the money or wether it's better to buy a 2 stroke motor and get better quality parts to go with it .

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'd go with the kit. While it's true that they're not top-of-the-line in quality, they're the best way for a newbie to get a bike up and running and then to learn what needs to be known to keep them running.

And for all that they're not really all that great, they're still easy to love.

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I'd say get the kit. Most of the things that are stock are actually pretty good. The only stock item I've replaced is the plug wire. The stock one breaks really easily. My stock throttle cracked and soon I'll replace it with a metal one.

So I'd say get a kit and replace stock things that break over time with better parts. It is cost effective. If you are extra careful when you assemble your bike (and not over torque your throttle bolts like I did), you can make stock parts last a very long time.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The kit is definitely the way to go for a first time builder. You will be on the road much sooner because you have far fewer potential problems to solve with a kit.
A definite difference in buying from EBay or an on line site like our sponsors is the service after the sale. If your EBay kit arrives damaged or inop, the EBay seller may or may not help. The on line vendors like our sponsors are far more likely to help in those situations.
The parts that can broken in shipping are usually the plastic ones, like the throttle, air cleaner and ignition box.