Adjusted the bands on my transmission

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Had never done it before- didn't know it was so easy- just a lockring around another screw- getting the lockring loose was the hard part-

the old PlyMouth Voyager was shifting late all at once and when I put in some fluid it just got worse when it got hot- so I "basted" that out with a baster- really over revving and acting weird- I thought I was gonna have to write it off.

anyway the Haines manual described where the band adjustment was- the only thing weird was that it recommended a certain torque to set the screw at - but there's really no resistence there to torque- I just screwed it in tighter- "kick down adjustment" and it works great- drove over 20 miles and picked up a used dryer with it this weekend-

so anyway- if you're having trouble, it may not be as bad as you think!

oooh, V-ger!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well good thing you didn't just take it into the shop...
You might now be scrambling to generate money to pay for a replacement tranny!
rc

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I know... absolutely! I hate to say it, but I can't trust anyone these days. I get a lot of hassle for just being transgendered.

Then- funny coincidence- there's this gas station not far away where I get soda and pizza, and a little car lot across the street- Just last week I was looking at a car there and a kid showed it to me- Then when I was looking in the phone book at tranny service places, I found the closest place by far was RIGHT NEXT DOOR to where I'd just looked at the car-

so my first paranoid thought was:
they'd tell me the tranny was gone just to try and get me to buy that car then!

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
When I was a kid, AAMCO ripped off my Dad by charging him for a new tranny when all they did was tighten the bands and spray paint the tranny so it looked new.