Computer Fan Cooling

GoldenMotor.com

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
I have a question has anyone tried on using a computer fan to blow air across the cylinder fins for better cooling at a lower speeds at high rpm? Like going up a hill? I was thinking if this would work. The fan could have its own off/on switch for using it on hills and off at normal riding.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're going to need a very long extension cord :)

Seriously, there would be very little if any benefit. Air cooled engines are designed to be just that, 'air cooled'. There is sufficient cooling fin area to take into account those times when there is decreased air flow. The only thing you want to avoid is long periods of high RPM idleing. By long periods I mean much longer than being stopped at an intersection.

Most computer cooling fans are 12 VDC. That alone presents a problem.

Tom

MonkeySeller808

Sep 17, 2011
Hawaii, Oahu
I understand that. But using the fan to allow more air flow through the fins at lower speeds. 12 volts, no problem I got a lot of extra airsoft batteries I can hook up 12 volts.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I use a computer fan to cool the box on my semi-inboard boat engine. Works great and is a very low draw brushless unit. It is however a specialized high output fan. The usual fans found in most computers wont blow a kleenex. Dont think it is neccesary for a free air cooled engine unless idling for long periods as in traffic like in the summer. Cant hurt though, have fun!