Will this CDI work with a 48cc Skyhawk? (NEED HELP)

GoldenMotor.com

tas0930

Feb 5, 2012
Florida
I desperately need help with my Skyhawk. Both coil cables with the kit broke (the one that goes on the spark plug), because one broke trying to put it on the spark plug, and the other had the little clip inside break off, and I can't find another coil like it for sale, so I think I need to buy another CDI

Will this one work with a 48cc? It looks the same. If not, can you direct me to one that will work? Please.

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/bike_motor_part_cdi_coil_2440_prd1.html

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes it will work. If you plan on using the spark plug boot (plastic connector) that comes with it you'll need to remove the cap on the top of the spark plug. They simply screw on but some are very tight. You'll need the threads exposed for the boot to snap onto the plug correctly.
The spark plug wire in most newer kits is glued into the CDI. They can be replaced but you'll need to do some work to get it out and be careful that you don't break the little threaded part inside that screws into the core of the plug wire.
Tom
How did you break the original?

tas0930

Feb 5, 2012
Florida
Thanks!

The first cable broke because I didn't take the head of the spark plug first, and it broke. I eventually figured to remove the head by looking online.

The second time, with the spare cable in the box, my brother decided to give it a spark test by putting a screwdriver in (stupid, I know), and the little pin inside came out.

He did this because I couldn't get it to run first try, and eventually broke the chain attached to the motor (I'm gonna get a hopefully stronger chain at the bike shop), so he couldn't even get a spark test because the chain was busted. Oh well, I'll figure out how to get it running once the new CDI comes in (probably have to adjust the choke)

Thanks again!

tas0930

Feb 5, 2012
Florida
Also, hard to tell from the picture, but will the two cables on it (blue and black) have the heads on it that connect to the engine and kill switch? It's hard to tell from the picture

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
From what I deduct, the CDI's are good but the spark plug clip is broken. Easy to repair.

These are good.

But these (Rajah plug clips) are what I find the best. Been using them on and off for the past 30 years. They will virtually last a lifetime.

Also, hard to tell from the picture, but will the two cables on it (blue and black) have the heads on it that connect to the engine and kill switch? It's hard to tell from the picture
Those two connectors connect to the magneto. Best to clip off the connectors on both coil and CDI, and solder together along with the kill switch.

Last edited:

tas0930

Feb 5, 2012
Florida
Thanks!

I already ordered the part though. But I will take your advice if it breaks again (which I hope, for the love of God, doesn't happen)