GoldenMotor.com

How Do you Mount Your Sprocket ?

• Total voters

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I made another post earlier and should have put there poll there but it seems you can't add it after posting sooo.....

How do you mount your sprocket?

Thanks!

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi,

OK I'll start it off....I have 3 bikes (two with Factory Rag joint , 1 with Top Hat Sprocket Adapter)....I just haven't had time to convert all 3 to Top Hat (yes, it's "only" been 3 years! HA).

Andrew

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If I have a disk brake hub, I would use your Top Hat adaptor, the best adaptor on the planet. I have 2 of them.

For a coaster brake hub, I like the MM style adapters. They're not quite as good, but still work very well.

I've used one rag joint, and it worked just fine, but it's so time consuming to install. Then after all the work to get it straight, if you want to change your sprocket it's back to square one. I think it took me about 3 hours in install it and set it up.

I also bought a clam shell adapter. It didn't fit any hub I've ever seen. The instructions advise you to have it machined it to fit if it's the wrong size. WTF, if I could do that why would buy one in the first place lol?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I prefer the 'top hat' when using your sprockets, but I've also mounted them with a rag joint.

I think adding a bolt pattern for Pats hub adapters would be nice too. :)

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I use the inner rag joint only so as to snug the sprocket up to the hub seems more secure, less wobble just had to file a little to get it all the way down close to the base of the hub. The sprocket wasn't quite large enough opening.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I currently use a rag joint but will be converting to a top hat adaptor for the "permanent" wheel. The top hat and sprocket I bought are lightweight and beautiful. Thanks for a great product!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This will prolly be my all time favorite hub as disk brakes are the best for my riding and over all personal expectations of handling. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10509

For me it is not a big deal at all to add a right side disk brake mount to a frame. All I use are steel frames for the most part. This approach for a good disk brake works good for me. Recently learned just how easy it is to build/spoke my own wheels for myself too! :)

A friend of mine has a top hat adapter and it works perfectly for his needs. Never complained about it.

So I voted for disk brake mount type. The sprocket gets mounted on like lugs nuts on a automobile wheel. Never have had hardware come loose on me ever!

I have one of Dean's sprockets and one of Andy's with this type hub there both great.

My old china bike had a 30 tooth disk brake mount sprocket from Andy as well with a rim brake.

Never was a fan really of coaster brakes. I hear they work great for folks. Just that got used to moving my peddles every which way, which spoiled me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This will prolly be my all time favorite hub as disk brakes are the best for my riding and over all personal expectations of handling. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10509

For me it is not a big deal at all to add a right side disk brake mount to a frame. All I use are steel frames for the most part. This approach for a good disk brake works good for me. Recently learned just how easy it is to build/spoke my own wheels for myself too! :)

A friend of mine has a top hat adapter and it works perfectly for his needs. Never complained about it.

So I voted for disk brake mount type. The sprocket gets mounted on like lugs nuts on a automobile wheel. Never have had hardware come loose on me ever!

I have one of Dean's sprockets and one of Andy's with this type hub there both great.

My old china bike had a 30 tooth disk brake mount sprocket from Andy as well with a rim brake.

Never was a fan really of coaster brakes. I hear they work great for folks. Just that got used to moving my peddles every which way, which spoiled me.
The question was, "how do you mount your sprocket", not 5000 words on what brake you like best lol.

I like the front brake myself.

:ride:.girl.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The question was, "how do you mount your sprocket", not 5000 words on what brake you like best lol.

I like the front brake myself.

:ride:.girl.
Do you know what a top hat adapter is for...laff

No you don't:p http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=510#post510

Well wait for it three words http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2846 You do now? Well mebbe? Dangit that was five words or was it 14 words or 16?

Disk brakes rule for me as I have done seen and tried everything else... Use what ever you want to use. I am not stopping you or remotely saying what you did was wrong. .ride3

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Do you know what a top hat adapter is for...laff

No you don't:p Well wait for it three words http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2846 You do now? Well mebbe? Dangit that was five words or was it 14 words or 16?

Disk brakes rule for me as I have done seen and tried everything else... Use what ever you want to use. I am not stopping you or remotely saying what you did was wrong. .ride3
Anyone can stop, using a disk brake. Where's the challenge in that? Scotto said a real man stuffs his foot between the rear wheel and the seat post. Now that's ridding. :ride2:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i have one pineapple mount,i found it quite simple and quick to install-1/4"air ratchet.
second one is a Hybriped sprocket adapter,allows total freewheel while cycling.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Anyone can stop, using a disk brake. Where's the challenge in that? Scotto said a real man stuffs his foot between the rear wheel and the seat post. Now that's ridding. :ride2:
I used to ride with no brakes at all. They were completely burnt out rim brakes. Did not just fall off the turnip truck. Have you bought anymore Doritoslaff lately? Scotto's is your hero because like he goes really fast! That bike of his with it's ''Disk brakes'' are oustanding too!!! dnutdnut

More importantly a well proven engine !:)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I always just used the old power slide sideways using my rear hub brakes on my single speed bike growing up. If that wasn't good enough you just rode it out on top of the bike.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Last time I used my foot in between the tire and seat post I was wearing some black and white Nike Air Force high tops and they had this hardish urethane piece that shot off the shoe while going down "deadman's hill" in Ada,OK.

Damn we were dumb then.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
How do you mount these? I got flip flops going for the summer months but I still get to going really fast tho. Get better way Kewl motor noises that way. makes me hungry for Doritos :p:D

Last edited: