Buddfab's Maytag Bike

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was in love with this bike in the unpainted form, but now its even more beautiful..... Makes me want to paint my bike.

Buddfab sure knows his stuff. Im sure youve seen his other bikes and i believe he has, or had a 50cc land speed record.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And hes also using a direct drive on the tyre, something none of us in this section (BTR and vintage) have really played with...... not sure how that would last on tyres, seeing as many of us are now having problems with tyre wear as it is.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME beutifull color combo. Click on the Maytag 72 in the upper right corner and it takes you to the video. He has other builds also..............Curt

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I had seen Maytag motors but had never seen one mounted on a motorbike. Thanks for the link.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I found a website that has mechanical drawings and parts lists for this engine. It's a very interesting if antiquated design. Without roller bearings you'd still have to run a fairly oil-rich mixture, but I think it could make some decent power with a few improvments.

Maytag Model 72 Engine Drawings

It appears to have a timed intake flow path through an L shaped path in the crankshaft....I see some room for improvement there as well as the pathways leading from the crankcase to the cylinders. I'm guessing the airflow into the crankcase to get it past the fuel jet has a few tight turns as well. Running a regular carburetor instead of the factory sytem which basically uses the fuel tank as a carburetor fuel bowl, would eliminate the need for a lot of those torturous passages and allow it to breath better. Add a well designed pair of expansion chambers and you might get it to rival a HF engine.

I hope I can find a cheap one in decent shape to experiment on.

MHF

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I have a few of those motors as well as some singles and they are a blast to restore and work on. Very well built, a little on the heavy side, but just screaming for upgrades and other mods. The twins are rotary valve intake through a hollow crank, dispersing the charge from one of the flywheels governed by a spring loaded weight partially blocking the hole and adjusted by removing a pipe plug in the top of the crankcase to access the adjusting screw. The singles are hit and miss governed with a flywheight that interupts the points.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yes thats the same guy. i love both his bikes.... plus all the bikes down the side of house in the video are very nice, and like i said earlier i believe he has a 50cc land speed record. The guy really knows his stuff, shame he isnt a member here. Id love to see his bikes in more detail

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
I found a website that has mechanical drawings and parts lists for this engine. It's a very interesting if antiquated design. Without roller bearings you'd still have to run a fairly oil-rich mixture, but I think it could make some decent power with a few improvments.

Maytag Model 72 Engine Drawings

It appears to have a timed intake flow path through an L shaped path in the crankshaft....I see some room for improvement there as well as the pathways leading from the crankcase to the cylinders. I'm guessing the airflow into the crankcase to get it past the fuel jet has a few tight turns as well. Running a regular carburetor instead of the factory sytem which basically uses the fuel tank as a carburetor fuel bowl, would eliminate the need for a lot of those torturous passages and allow it to breath better. Add a well designed pair of expansion chambers and you might get it to rival a HF engine

I hope I can find a cheap one in decent shape to experiment on.

MHF
!!!xct2usflgdance1

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Here's some of my Maytags. They're really amazing little engines. Heavy castings and bulletproof. They run forever. The twins are more rare than the singles even though they are later models. Most everyone had electricity by the time the 2 cylinders were made.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
They are beautiful engines......C'mon Msrfan, I remember trying to convince you to do a may tag build some time ago, I would love to see what you do with a may tag ...... Don't make me beg LOL

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Msrfan,
Let me guess... you like little motors, don't you?

I think I told you that I had one of those single cylinder Maytags in nice condition before I got into bikes and gave it away... (slaps head). Gave away an old Johnson outboard, too. A rope start with lots of copper and brass on it. (Slaps head again.)

I'm with Harry, do a nice old timer with the twin cylinder. C'mon, ya know ya wanta.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AMEN don't let that guy be the only one.

Were bouts do live? I have a brother that lives in Reseda is that close?

Your shop is almost as full as mine.................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! Thast a take off the old Popular machinics plan. half moon sproket for brake,foot pegs insted of running boards.......KOOOOOL..........Curt