Vintage pics

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for sharing these images, Bret. I never get tired of looking at them. Those were the days...

Check out the Indian Tadpole thread for a bunch of Indian tri-car photos.

Fasteddie sent me these a couple of days ago, not vintage photos from back when, but still eye candy.
SB

Attachments

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
cool tri car pix SB.
I figure the best way to get a handle on the different looks & styles of these bikes is to look at pics of the actual genuine articles, taken at the time.
here's some more

Attachments

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I dont know what it is about these early BMWs but i really really like their styling, obviously we couldnt recreate one of these without a small inline 4 cylinder car engine but i know im going to steal/borrow some of the styling cues.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=a...w=157&start=192&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:192

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=a...w=170&start=192&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:192
It's the "form follows function" design that seems to be thw hallmark of German engineering. Nothing unneccesary, all tightly and neatly packaged and pinstriped.

BTW, both pictures are 2 cylinder boxer engines. The first one looks as if it might be an inline 4 because of the big central box, but the intake piping leads from the carburetor up to what looks like a supercharger, then down to the back of the cylinder head.

MHF

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yes i know what you are saying about German engineering, you just have to look at The World Championship of Bike Building, the European countries build understated, well engineered, beautiful machines..... while the Americans usually build hyper colored, unridable, unimaginative and overstated choppers, and therefore very rarely (not sure if they ever have) won the event.

Needless to say i favour the European bobber bikes rather then the fugly American choppers.

Wasnt aware what the BMW engines were, but now i know they are 2 cylinder...... Ive been in love with this BMW bobber forever, just beautiful..... is this the same engine?

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=c...3&tbnw=185&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I dont know what it is about these early BMWs but i really really like their styling, obviously we couldnt recreate one of these without a small inline 4 cylinder car engine but i know im going to steal/borrow some of the styling cues.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=a...w=157&start=192&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:192

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=a...w=170&start=192&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:192
late 60's or early 60's volvo V 4 cylinder engine produced by ford for volvo I have seen only 1 in my career so I am not absolutely positive it wasnt transplanted in that car the car was a pv54 commonly called the "old ford" but that motor was small enough to fit your needs. just a lead as I havent done the digging around my self , hope it helps.
Gary

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
late 60's or early 60's volvo V 4 cylinder engine produced by ford for volvo I have seen only 1 in my career so I am not absolutely positive it wasnt transplanted in that car the car was a pv54 commonly called the "old ford" but that motor was small enough to fit your needs. just a lead as I havent done the digging around my self , hope it helps.
Gary
Thanks, but i was just admiring but dont plan on a replica, i have way too many projects as it is. Would be very cool but, or use the engine you are talking about to do a Henderson inline tribute. Definitely be different and unique

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
What is the circumstance with electric power, there in Oz, Harry?
Will the constables accept them?

...if you went with a trike design, it would afford more opportunity for carrying batteries and such... and you could even do a tri-brid???
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have an electric boardtracker planned...... just need the money.

A trike would be cool but would be a little more dangerous to ride, and the police would notice me more. We still have to be under 200 watts which is ridiculous but i think as long as im on an electric and not an ICE bike ill be ok, most cops know ICE = illegal and electric = legal.

I plan to ride the wheels off this thing, just like i was with the Villiers before being warned not to ride it..... oh how i miss riding that thing and the looks i would get.... priceless

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
There's an awful lot I don't know abt Oz, Harry... laws and general attitude towards them being among the biggest part.
I come from a long tradition of tax protesters... which is pretty much saying they squash me like a bug, from time to time. But I keep trying!

Way back when, I had a harley 45 trike... it was fun, but I got rid of it quickly.
Swapped it off for a '48 chevy sedan delivery, which I liked a lot.

...the 200watts is kind of a killer, isn't it...
I think that's abt what the razor scooter I got out in the yard is...
it's not much to speak of.

Really upsets me when gubment is an impediment instead of promoting prosperity.
Best
rc