engines turning over but wont start up

GoldenMotor.com

grovejorge

Apr 1, 2009
miami
my engine has 1000 funfilled miles on it and has run pretty good most of its life. recently it has been taking progressively longer for the engine to start up, it still turns over fine, it is not in any way siezed up, but it just doesn spark up. getting plenty of gas, and brand new spark plug. i ran it fine for about a half hour then let it was off for 45 min. then i tried to start it up again and no dice. at first a cpl little sparks then eventually none at all. could it be the magneto? the cdi? somebody throw me a bone!!!!!

jorge in coconut grove

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Head torque won't affect weak spark.

DO a search and check resistance of mag and CDI and replace what doesn't match spec resistance (measured in ohms).

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Reasons for a engine not to start related to electrical..
1. Defective kill switch, and or wire
2. Engine not in time (broken key, or magnet not installed correctly)
3. Bad or weak coil
4. Bad or weak CDI
5. Bad coil wire and or cap
6. Defective spark plug
7. Low compression
8. Broken,and or bad wire connections
9. Incorrect wiring
10. Coil installed incorrectly

Transplant from Miami Springs of 28 years.

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
try checking the internal gas filter (the small one attached to the fuel valve)it may be clogged even if you see it flowing, restricting it can be starving the engine of gas.

Glenlivinit

Mar 19, 2014
Murrieta Ca.
Had same problem about 500 miles into my bike. Before the first tank of gas I had a magneto fail, and after the bike died on me again suddenly, I blamed the mag. Got spark on new mag, but as hard as I peddled, bike would barely run.
Went to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute WAY back in "91, so here is the list of what I checked
1) with mag cover off, turn motor over with a drill and a 14mm socket and check spark
2) turn off fuel at petcock, drain float bowl and spray carb cleaner with throttle open and drill start motor to check a fuel issue.
3) check compression- aha! compression was up and down intermittent and I was really scratching my head, easy enough to pull head and I saw some blow
by evidence around the gasket and seating area. So, I re surfaced the head with some 400 grit sandpaper on a glass table for a true flat surface and set head back. Got bike to start a little better but would still not hold throttle without peddle power.
4) took head back off and on close inspection saw a defect on top edge on piston - again AHA!!- time to remove cylinder, very easy to do and then I found the culprit. bottom compression ring had broken off and chiped the piston, also chipping the cylinder and scoring it. the cerclip holding the wrist pin also broke a piece off and gouged down the side of the piston- just enough to still run, but with enough blow by not to make a complete burn.
Cause.. I believe vibration at high rpm especially with throttle open on down hill- just to much for the iron ring and clip and something had to give.
brnotbrnotbrnot
Moral is DON'T EVER GIVE UP! keep digging there will be an answer
RIDE ON !!