Exhaust gasket blew, and exhaust studs ruined

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so today I installed my new muffler, and I used the original gasket, well while riding the gasket just ripped out. No idea how it happned, but it did. So now I have "high performace" gasket from SBP, but it kinda sucks. It doesn't seal right and because of it the engine is very loud.

Is there some kind of gasket material I can buy to use to create a good seal?

Also the studs for the exhaust are ruined. They don't hold the nuts anymore.
Can I also buy these at home depot or something? What would they be called? Double headed bolts or something like that?

And also what's the best way to remove the old studs from the motor?

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
You have the aluminum gasket ? I have that also and could never get it to seal right. I traced mine out on 2 thin pieces of cereal box cardboard, cut them out and used some Permatex anaerobic gasket maker to seal them to both sides of the aluminum gasket. Been on there and sealed for 6+ months. "Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker" is a motorized bike builders best friend. Its expensive but worth every penny. I use it on everything that needs sealing. Carb , head gasket , exhaust gasket , petcock , intake , etc. This stuff.

I always use Vise Grips to back out studs. Just lock them on as close to the engine as you can. ! Gently back them out ! You can replace them with regular bolts just take the studs to the hardware store with you and get some Allen head bolts the same size but half the length of the stud part that goes into the engine. You want to make sure they are not too long cause if they bottom out in the stud hole and you crank on them your going to break something.

:D

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I use Lowe's, and Home Depot as they are close to me. They have bolts that are threaded to the top. You can get a couple and either cut the head off or grind the head off, also buy locking nuts. I use studs, and put double nuts on them, first a regular nut followed by a locking nut...both a Grade 8.8 metric (USS Grade 5)

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't have a grinder, here's an idea. Can I just buy a couple of bolts, not too long, and just bolt the exhaust into where the studs used to be?
You have the aluminum gasket ? I have that also and could never get it to seal right. I traced mine out on 2 thin pieces of cereal box cardboard, cut them out and used some Permatex anaerobic gasket maker to seal them to both sides of the aluminum gasket. Been on there and sealed for 6+ months. "Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker" is a motorized bike builders best friend. Its expensive but worth every penny. I use it on everything that needs sealing. Carb , head gasket , exhaust gasket , petcock , intake , etc. This stuff.

I always use Vise Grips to back out studs. Just lock them on as close to the engine as you can. ! Gently back them out ! You can replace them with regular bolts just take the studs to the hardware store with you and get some Allen head bolts the same size but half the length of the stud part that goes into the engine. You want to make sure they are not too long cause if they bottom out in the stud hole and you crank on them your going to break something.

:D