Total replacement of driveshaft..mid-way question.

GoldenMotor.com

motovator

May 16, 2012
Southern Maine
Hi all, this time I am not posting in 2 places lol. Anyway..my woodruff key sheared off on my new-ish 66cc GT5..the key nearest the drive/sprocket. I have an old 66cc Grubee. 6-8 yrs old? but good. I am removing the driveshaft and have the clutch..both keys etc. off now. I searched but couldnt find an answer that was as in-depth as i needed. It appears that i can take no more off of the shaft.(part no. 20?) I am down to what looks like a shiny washer on each side of shaft, that i think holds the bearings?? do i go further? or can I know safely tap the driveshaft thru and out. Please help. Thanks, Motovator!

Andybm514

Jun 18, 2011
Wilmington, nc
after a ride where "something happened" i took off my clutch cover and my sprocket was loose, turns out my woodruff key fell out or something. it just wasn't there. upon further inspection it looks as if the actual drive "shaft" was sheared where the woodruff key fits in. im debating if i should look around and see if its a fairly cheap and easy swap of the shaft or just buy a new lower end. have you had any luck with removing the shaft?

Andybm514

Jun 18, 2011
Wilmington, nc
sorry for the double post, but found out the part im referring to is the clutch shaft and kingsmotorbikes sells complete shafts ($15) and just the actual shaft itself ($5). so ill think ill but the complete shaft with the spring and clutch plate nut and whatever else it has. im also going to search the forum for disassembly tutorials and if not ill try my hand at making one.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
It comes out the clutch side.
I will warn you though, it is a total b1tch to get out!!!
I mean it took me damn near 45 minutes of constant pounding with a heavy rubber mallet to get it out.

The cruiser

Apr 22, 2013
Melbourne
My clutch gear shaft seems to be bent and the gear is tight but wobbles about a 1/8 of an inch on the crank gear . Can anyone tell me if I can hammer it out with limited tools and straitened the shaft in a vice ? I can see the cut out for the key but not the key itself . The gears don't mesh as tight as they did when I first got the motor . I let a friend have a ride and he dropped the clutch and stalled the bike twice , could this have bent it ? Can I get it out and back in without a pulling tool ? Any help would be greatly appreciated , it's only 3 weeks old and I've babied it and kept the grease up , I'm hoping ill get a long life out of this little motor . It's all standard except for a chrome banana shaped expandtion chamber exaust with I think done nothing except make it louder

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it could be bent, but I doubt it - the clutch sits on a tapered shaft and sometimes the factory doesn't get it properly onto the shaft, this could allow it to off center itself a bit - if you have the clutch puller tool, take it off, check that the woodruff key is in there & straight, then remount the clutch to the shaft

if you don't have the tool, try putting a piece of wood on the clutch & hitting it with a hammer, then tighten down the center nut real tight

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Use a press for removing the clutch shaft without the drama.
Napa or a local shop should have a small press if you don't know anyone.

The cruiser

Apr 22, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks for the advice , I got the shaft out and it's bent , I'm going to try and make a new one out of an old set of cranks from a bike that's made out of Aussie steel . When I got the shaft out I realized that I could bite it in half , it is so soft that failure was always on the cards . The clutch plate bearings are a little loose and I think that could be more a problem than any thing else. Ill let you know how I go with making the new shaft , again thanks for the advice

The cruiser

Apr 22, 2013
Melbourne
One second thoughts ill just buy a new shaft , $10 dollar part compared to spending all day trying to make one with a bench grinder and a packet of smokes

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
I had the same thing happen to my lil Skyhawk 48 cc. the key just went away and my output sprocket backed the shaft nut off so it was just spinning and spinning. and you have to ride home right. well it flattened the threads on the shaft and made the key way walls have large groves in them. Can the clutch shaft be repaired or should I just replace it ? any help would be appreciated

The cruiser

Apr 22, 2013
Melbourne
I just replaced the shaft in mine , it's a $10 item and not worth the hassle of trying to fix . If you use a hammer to get it out BE very aware not to hammer the threads . If you can get a puller it will make life a lot easier , just take your time and make sure you get the gears all the way home on the shaft as well as the bearings . The shaft comes out on the clutch side so just remove the chain and cog and push it through . Read up on adjusting your clutch once you get it all back together , plenty of good people on here with good knowledge of these motors

The cruiser

Apr 22, 2013
Melbourne
I'd still replace it , the metal is not good quality and your woodruff key is chewed up in there too . All the best which ever way you go with it .