anyone tried one of these with a shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
as title states im thinking of replacing my back tire hub with this one. was wondering if anyone's tried it i know a few have used the 3 speed hubs. but has anyone tried these ones out

http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...rnal-Brake/dp/B002DMXQ1I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_18
I would like to know that too.

MotoMagz is using the SA 5 speed on his new gorgeous 4 stroke shifter bike.

I think Venice motor Bikes has used a 8 speed hub on his very
nice felt 2 stroke shifter bike.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
This has been mentioned before, but the S80 aka X-RD8 has a 1:1 1st gear - gears 2-8 are all overdriven. This means the internals will be spinning extremely fast in the higher gears. You'd probably need to use a 24T crank sprocket, and so you'd be transmitting a lot of torque to the hub, which has a lot of tiny little gears inside of it - much more than the 3- or 5-speed hubs. I doubt such a hub will last very long with a shift kit, but I could be wrong too. Sturmeys tend to be stronger IGHs than Shimanos.

You could always be the first to try it lol

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Venice Motor Bikes is selling a bike with a SA 8 speed.

Here is a motorized Felt Revolver that I just finished building...

It has all the best parts; old school RAW 66cc(80cc) engine thats been fully ported with THREE internal tranfer ports & a reed valve &
a SBP expansion chamber exhaust pipe...

It also has a SBP shifter kit with a 8-speed Sturmey Archer hub,

front & rear disc brakes, re-jetted carb, 3G slick tires, a stainless steel 'keg' gas tank & a Felt F-005 fork.

Last edited:

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
Yesh more data is defiantly need would like to know how these hold up in the long run and how well the gearing is set up.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
it also depends on how the owner treats their hub.

I have read about some distroyed in a (race) day.

I will by placing my money on the shimano 8 speed nexus with rollerbrake in the near future.

what sold me was the gear ratios and that some were under driven.