This chain tensioner?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
From what I understand, you will need a wider crankset to use that chain tensioner. Other than that, its well worth the money from what I hear.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
yes it does fit on a gt5... & yes it is worth every penny..yes you will need a wider crank set ...yes i bought one & will buy another if needed ...8oo miles & flawless performance so far...i know nothing if it was a stolen design or not

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
"Stolen" would imply that it is patented or patent pending or that he was a supplier and is now selling the contracted design direct. Why is a clone engine OK but his product is not? Not trying to create a big controversy here but just asking. It would seem that if the product was truly innovative then a patent would have been filed. If the guy was a vendor then a non-disclosure and/or non-compete would have been signed. That's just part of being in business. If someone can see that your product is successful and can be produced better and for less then they will. Just because it was your idea will not protect you. As a consumer I want low cost and high quality. Does the product offer that? Apparently so. Does it violate a patent? Not my problem. That is the system and the cost of doing business.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Can I ask why I need a wider crank set? Does it move the chain or sit wider than the original plate?

If I could tell you how much clearance there is between the stock plate and the pedal at the 1 o'clock position could you give me an answer? I just don't want to spend $$.$$ on the part and $$ on new cranks.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
sure , this part bolts on right over the clutch cover plate ..& you will need slightly longer bolts too ...because of that normal cranks just wont clear those bolts & plate

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
"Stolen" would imply that it is patented or patent pending or that he was a supplier and is now selling the contracted design direct. Why is a clone engine OK but his product is not? Not trying to create a big controversy here but just asking. It would seem that if the product was truly innovative then a patent would have been filed. If the guy was a vendor then a non-disclosure and/or non-compete would have been signed. That's just part of being in business. If someone can see that your product is successful and can be produced better and for less then they will. Just because it was your idea will not protect you. As a consumer I want low cost and high quality. Does the product offer that? Apparently so. Does it violate a patent? Not my problem. That is the system and the cost of doing business.
I make a clutch roller that reduces the pull on the handle. The design was not mine but from another forum member. Some told me it was stolen... since there was no patent or one pending...how could I have stole it... JFYI there are two different designs...one, like shown (that is the seller I bought from, and recommend him) and the other that mounts between the cover and engine. I bought the one shown for a member that did't have a PayPay account and had it sent to him (Jose in IL). Seems he had no problems with it.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With so many alternatives available I can not for the life of me understand why anyone would spend $40 plus shipping for a device that would require wider cranks (at an extra cost) and not offer any advantages over some of the ideas and concepts devised here by some of our members. Just a few minutes of search would provide an assortment of innovative ideas to apply tension to the drive chain.

Just because it was machined from aluminum doesn't make it the best choice or the most cost effective.

Tom

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
sure , this part bolts on right over the clutch cover plate ..& you will need slightly longer bolts too ...because of that normal cranks just wont clear those bolts & plate

ummmm, but if you countersink the holes in the plate, and use countersunk allen bolts, will standard cranks still clear it?
or would the plate still be in the way?

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
talk about overkill!
why not just build one out of a 10 speed derailer like i did? mount it in the same location as this thing (like i did), and save yourself $46.00?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
talk about overkill!
why not just build one out of a 10 speed derailer like i did? mount it in the same location as this thing (like i did), and save yourself $46.00?
Got pics of it? I've been thinking of doing something similar, I'd like to see another take on it.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
talk about overkill!
You can say the same thing about a lot of parts you can buy for these kits. When it comes down to it, you don't NEED any of the upgrades.

That said, I'm happy I spent the money on my sprocket adapter and don't have to worry about that stupid rag joint ever again. This isn't much of a different scenario.

If I wouldn't have been able to figure out a way to make an engine-mounted tensioner in a simple way, I would have started saving up for this thing. Why? It's a solution that bolts straight on and looks nice. Sure, it's $46, but for $46 you never have to worry about a cheap tensioner falling into your spokes, it keeps your chain adjusted while it wears in, and you don't have to mess with cobbled together parts or drilled frames.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
The only problem I've found with spring tensioners is that you pretty much HAVE to use a sprocket adapter. A rag joint, unless yer a much better man than I, always has a little "tight loose, tight loose going on with the chain. It may be very little, but you still have to adjust your chain to compensate. So what happens with a spring tensioner is that when you decelerate the chain goes slack on top. If it goes TOO slack it could potentially bunch up in the case, (which is a bad thing.) A sprocket adapter is the only way to go ANYWAY, So if yer gonna invest in something like this, you should perhaps invest in an adapter first. (Just my opinion.)
fatdaddy.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
man i'm running rag joints on both of my bikes (a 20" schwinn stingray and an occ chopper) with chain tensioners that I made.
going on 4 years on the same rag joints and tesioners without any problems.
I guess if you know what you're doing, you can make stuff work and last. but if you don't know what you're doing, the only alternative is to buy better parts & there's nothing wrong with that at all.
I just prefer to fabricate and build my own parts whenever I can.