Impulse build!

GoldenMotor.com

Eight433

Apr 29, 2012
Birch Run, MI
Saturday I was wandering through wal-mart (which I hate, but is the only store in the town I was in) and ran across a Huffy Panama Jack bike. I thought it was neat, googled it right there in the store, and this was the first site that popped up. I was already on the prowl for a small-cc bike, something like a honda 70 or something on those lines that could be a small, simple, cheap supplement project to keep me busy this summer. I thought about it (non stop) for the last couple days, which is NEVER a good sign with me. Today, I ordered the 66/80 kit from bikeberry.com and the Huffy Nel Lusso bike from wal-mart. I'll keep this thread updated as I receive parts and assemble them :) For now, file photos will have to do.

Plans are fairly simple. Modifications will likely include basket delete, maybe some real wood trim here and there, and reversed handlebars if it is comfortable enough, custom bars if they are not. Someday, probably a custom gas tank or somewhat extensively modified stock tank will probably find it's way on the bike as well.

similar to this one, i suspect

Believe that bike belongs to a fellow on here by the name of Heycisco.

This will just be a low speed putter, maybe around car shows and campgrounds and what not, so I will likely build/buy a new (read, quieter) muffler. I intend to ride it before I even consider auxiliary brakes. For my intended use, it should be find, and I would prefer to keep everything as simple and clean looking as possible.

So far, my total investment is 355 dollars with taxes and shipping.

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
about the same cost as my cranbrook build though i went the extra 75 and bought a 36t sprocket and adapter.lots of people here put down huffy bikes i might have got lucky but had no real prob,bike shipped with bent rim called huffy and i had a new one in a week or so,they told me to keep old one,straightened it and had spare. good luck with yours.sold mine,customer hasnt come back complaining.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eight433

Apr 29, 2012
Birch Run, MI
Well, my bike came rather quickly, but the motor is taking a while. It finally shipped this week, and should be here by monday or so. Yay!

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
before you even think about putting the engine on that bike, and even before you think about peddling it around, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb.
dissassemble the hubs, clean the bearings and re-pack them with high quality wheel bearing grease.
do the same for the crank bearings and headset bearings.
re-assemble and adjust everything.

find threads here about how to correctly put an engine on a bike and you can't go wrong.
DO NOT assume that just bolting the kit onto an off the shelf bike, right out of the box will yield the best results.
there are ways to build one of these things right, and if you don't build it right, you'll be back in a week saying that it's a peice of junk.

Eight433

Apr 29, 2012
Birch Run, MI
before you even think about putting the engine on that bike, and even before you think about peddling it around, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb.
dissassemble the hubs, clean the bearings and re-pack them with high quality wheel bearing grease.
do the same for the crank bearings and headset bearings.
re-assemble and adjust everything.

find threads here about how to correctly put an engine on a bike and you can't go wrong.
DO NOT assume that just bolting the kit onto an off the shelf bike, right out of the box will yield the best results.
there are ways to build one of these things right, and if you don't build it right, you'll be back in a week saying that it's a peice of junk.

Thanks for the tips.
Check out my introduction. I think you will CLEARLY see, I never assume anything stock is "good enough". I have to modify, and USUALLY improve upon everything I touch it seems.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38873