4 stroke engine mount problems...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone ever drill through the holes on the 2 bottom adjustable plates because your threads have stripped? Is there enough room to drill straight through and use a bolt/nut to tie into the top plate from each side or even one side?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not real crazy about the four stroke mounts that I've used. It takes more time, but I prefer ones I make from a flat plate, two end pieces of angle (from a bed frame) Two U bolts and two hockey pucks bored out in the center to fit the frame at the seat tube and front down tube. Puck gets cut off for a flat surface to meet the angle iron and drilled to insert the U bolts from the back side of the frame, through the pucks and into the angle which is bolted to the flat plate. The commercial ones are on the expensive side, too. Mine cost a few bucks to make.
SB

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
You should be able to do that, but it would help if you could post a picture for us to see.

The threads in those plate blocks are really not very good, but there are at least 3 different plate blocks I've seen.
The mounting platform I have is the old style which looks like two "W"'s when you flip them over. The top is made of better material than these two pieces. The top plate is shiny steel...while the two sliding pieces seem to be made of aluminum.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not real crazy about the four stroke mounts that I've used. It takes more time, but I prefer ones I make from a flat plate, two end pieces of angle (from a bed frame) Two U bolts and two hockey pucks bored out in the center to fit the frame at the seat tube and front down tube. Puck gets cut off for a flat surface to meet the angle iron and drilled to insert the U bolts from the back side of the frame, through the pucks and into the angle which is bolted to the flat plate. The commercial ones are on the expensive side, too. Mine cost a few bucks to make.
SB
Oh yeah! Was looking at just buying another plate...but they ain't cheap. Not wanting/having that much that I can spend right now...I can afford a drill bit and a longer bolt/nut.