Somebody Got Some 'splainin' To Do!

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
So today a new bicycle motor kit arrives and on the side it says "88 cm3" and "YD88". Now isn't cm3 cubic centimeters cubed? 88cc?

Anyone care to comment.

I'll hold mine for a few posts, then I'll tell another little nugget.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just googled 88cm3...it's just a weird way of measuring volume...comes out to 55cc....Isn't there a math teacher here?? We could use a math lesson.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Now let me complicate things....the bore is the same as a dax 70cc. The stroke is 1/8" longer.

Let's review...the bores on the 55 and 70 were the same, the 65 was roughly 1/16" smaller.
The stroke on the 65 and the 70 were the same.
The stroke on the 55 was 1/8" deeper.

With my head swimming, I bolted them all back together and turned off the lights.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The 55 also has one base gasket, both the dax engines have two.

Anyhow, full cosmetic review later today, look for it in the bicycle engine kits forum.

Last edited:

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting...my boygofast engines also had 2 gaskets on the base. I wonder if Dax and BGF have the same engine supplier.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I figured I'd do the "comparo" here since the thread is already under way.

First some photos of different components...

The lever on the left came with the Livefast econo kit, the one on the right, standard dax. The econo lever's photo makes it look a whole lot better than it really is.

Next, the tensioner- Looks to be well built and I like the four bolts a lot more....no bearing.

Finally, the mufflers. The funky looking one is the econocan. It has a really thin stamped sheet metal baffle that will probably burn off in the first 100 miles.

The tank from the econo kit is very nice, smooth and even shiny, the cap is another story, it will work, maybe just needs some time to "wear in".

The econo kit didn't come with a left grip, chain guard, tool, or fuel filter.
It also has a smaller .081 chain with slightly thinner sprockets...oh, and that five hole jobby is going up on the wall with a clockwork installed in it. I have other sprockets.

I haven't run the econo motor yet, but it does have 8mm studs, a standrd carb, cdi, ect. Also, the mounts are the better, more "pliable" type.

I rate it (for now) a "Best Buy!" @ 145.99 shipped ebay winning bid price.

I'll keep you posted, but this motor is third in line right now to be mounted.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It has one base gasket, the two dax engines I have (65 and 70) have two. Little other things like screws, casting, ect differ. The piston tops porting all look the same. The livefast and the newer dax 65 both have cast intakes, the older dax 70 has a welded up shiny job.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
hehe, well the math teacher has arrived...and here's my opinion...this is not math. it's a crysis in labeling is what this boils down to. someone in china is wanting their engine to look better on paper and so they label it more than it is...AMD did this with its processor line a while back (Athlon 3200+ ran at 2.2Ghz)

my question is "what were they actually measuring to come up with those numbers?" they may be measuring different total volumes and therefore we're comparing apples and oranges.

for my general knowledge...what is the volume (80cc) SUPPOSED to be measuring? the cylinder only?