extended intake manifold????

GoldenMotor.com

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
With my newest build I have ran out of space to cram the carb into the frame. Without cutting out my mount (welded in) and re-positioning the motor I thought I would try to extend my intake manifold. I know this is not ideal but what are my performance setbacks going to be? Is it something I can tune with carb adjustment?

Attachments

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I don't know the mechanics behind it - but increasing the intake length will take off your top end, and put it in the bottom end torque.

It has to do with distance and atomization and such.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Not certain if the intake length will have adverse effects yet. Installed it last night on a fresh out of the box Skyhawk GT2 with CNS carb and she popped right off. Of course she was spitting and sputtering prior to cruedly tuning the carb in. Tonight I will button down the wiring, tidy up a bit and see where it goes from there. All in all I am really not looking for dragster speed with this stretch cruiser so a little off the top end would be just fine with me.

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
Just in case anyone is looking at this with the same question I will continue to document my progress. Night #2 of trying to tune this carb has failed. Still spitting and sputtering while not choked and at mid throttle. idle sounds super sweet but seems to run like it hates me. I may re-mount the motor to accomodate the carb in the frame with stock intake.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
Just in case anyone is looking at this with the same question I will continue to document my progress. Night #2 of trying to tune this carb has failed. Still spitting and sputtering while not choked and at mid throttle. idle sounds super sweet but seems to run like it hates me. I may re-mount the motor to accomodate the carb in the frame with stock intake.
CNS carb are funny it's not your intake-read up on CNS tuning

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The "Superstock Dodge" that Jan and Dean sang about had very long intake runners. It worked for them.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You're going to need to drill your main jet out to get it to run right. Stock is = to about a #71 drill bit. I suggest going to a #64 and tune from there. Be prepared to drill it even a little bigger.

Pucksterpete

Nov 7, 2008
France
So, Whats the latest on the intake for the bike?

Tnx,

Pete

inked1974

Apr 11, 2011
Palo, Iowa
havnt really had too many issues with this intake, It is still running. I believe that most of my tuning issues were just getting to know the CNS but after some messing around with the carb it runs just fine. I did a few plug chops and decided not to rejet, color was staying a caramel tan. I am now running Opti2 and loving it.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
You're going to need to drill your main jet out to get it to run right. Stock is = to about a #71 drill bit. I suggest going to a #64 and tune from there. Be prepared to drill it even a little bigger.
i wonder how you can dril 0.71 mm hole to 0.64mm