50's schwinn panther?

GoldenMotor.com

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
ok so i'm walking down main street home town and there is this little classic car museum. more of a relic of what used to be a museum. a personal collection of the accountant who owns the place. i spy with my little eye the back wheel of what i think may be an old whizzer. a little more curious now i go up to the window for a better look and through uncleaned glass with old license plates taped up i see an old schwinn! now i'm very excited. wanting to try my hand at a board tracker, finding this old cruiser frame was awesome. BUT, the guy wants 200.00 for it. tried to go in with a 100 cash thinking maybe he'd give'er up. not so lucky. my over all view of the bike was very very poor. the bike is brown, has the orginal schwinn tank on the frame. not the factory fenders with the cool reflector on it. looks to be original handle bars, front and back caliper brakes, and very old looking front and back storage racks. THE CLINCHER! how long has schwinn been putting that cool looking signature decal on the seat tube? i really want this bike and if it is old the condition its in is worth the asking price. just want to make sure i'm not looking at a 10 year old frame with a few 60 year old pieces on it.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I leave the nice originals for the collectors. There are frames available for $100, then I fit it out with all the heavy duty motor bike stuff like 12ga spoke wheels, etc.

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Front and rear caliper brakes and front and rear racks(chrome?) sounds like a 60's bike.
is the frame a straightbar or cantlever? a staightbar tank alone can be worth $200.without running the numbers there are somethings that can give a clue to the year the chainguard is one.like Norm said pics would be helpful and like Pat said i hate to see original bikes parted out but if its something assembled from misc parts no harm