4 stroke abuse over speed

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
For those considering the purchase of a 4 Stroke engine..... Here is a critical point I wish to make. Just because you purchase a 4 stroke, it does not mean you can dish out anything and that these 4 strokes can take anything.. The Titan 4 Stroke is a tough motor for sure, But..... I need to stress a point to all and this point is applicable to all 4 strokes not Just titan. And that is.. Over speeding. The Honda comes with a 1 year warranty. But.. As soon as you remove the governor, the 1 year warranty is void since the removal of the governor can allow for over speeding. The Titan comes with no governor and you can over speed the motor also.. Over speeding any motor is abuse.. Big time !! Do not do it !! Over Speed Abuse or any kind of abuse is not covered under warranty. Any mechanic can examine an engine for this abuse and is obvious when found. In other words.. Be nice to your engine and it will be nice to you and will provide many years of enjoyment. And do NOT OVER SPEED !!! If you want to learn about over speeding an engine and what it means, you can check out the link I have provided. Bottom line is.. Treat your enigne nice.. So you can .. Enjoy the ride..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overspeed_(engine)

Last edited:

jg767

May 28, 2008
For those considering the purchase of a 4 Stroke engine..... Here is a critical point I wish to make. Just because you purchase a 4 stroke, it does not mean you can dish out anything and that these 4 strokes can take anything.. The Titan 4 Stroke is a tough motor for sure, But..... I need to stress a point to all and this point is applicable to all 4 strokes not Just titan. And that is.. Over speeding. The Honda comes with a 1 year warranty. But.. As soon as you remove the governor, the 1 year warranty is void since the removal of the governor can allow for over speeding. The Titan comes with no governor and you can over speed the motor also.. Over speeding any motor is abuse.. Big time !! Do not do it !! Over Speed Abuse or any kind of abuse is not covered under warranty. Any mechanic can examine an engine for this abuse and is obvious when found. In other words.. Be nice to your engine and it will be nice to you and will provide many years of enjoyment. And do NOT OVER SPEED !!! If you want to learn about over speeding an engine and what it means, you can check out the link I have provided. Bottom line is.. Treat your enigne nice.. So you can .. Enjoy the ride..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overspeed_(engine)
Are you having problems with the Titan? How many rpm's can the Titan handle safely?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Mine is getting up to about 7,500 at times now. I don't like to rev it that high.
I still think you're ok at that rpm and not too worry, it's a cheap (inexpensive) re-build if it does give out. As we all know, the china girls don't last forever.....nothing does, so enjoy the heck out of it! RIDE.wee.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
My HS cruises all day at 7,500. I've often had it up to 8,500 to 8,800 for short periods going down hill. But I usually let off the gas though after a few seconds of that :)
Jay

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
Attempted thread revival:

Im building a 3hp Briggs bike that will be equipped with a centrifugal clutch and transfer power through a freewheel. It seems to me that overspeeding is only an issue when theres no load on the motor. Does this mean I can run my motor sans governor and nit be worried? (considering of course I stay in the appropriate gear for the speed Im traveling at)

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
WrongO.
Rpm kills because of centrifugal force and mechanical limits of stuff like piston rings and lands. Not load dependent!
It also depends on the engine.
A lot of 4strokes are self - limited by valve float, where the valves can't shut fast enough so airflow just goes flat.
For example:
I was thinking about a 11 horse Briggs (riding mower) converted to powering a board track replica. The mower racing guys said they go into valve float at around 4500 rpm. The concern was blowing up the cast iron flywheel and they considered 4500 safe.

Long ago I broke some piston rings on my Honda 750 over flying the red line.

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
Yeah I get that its centrifugal force, a function of speed, but its easier for an unloaded motor to rev up quickly than one under load.

I read today that valve float occurs at around 5500 rpm with the motor Im using. Im wondering if Id throw a rod before I get to 5500 though.

vtec- i got a laser tech of Amazon for $20, and Im very pleased with its performance.
Amazon.com: Neiko Professional Digital Laser Photo Non-Contact Tachometer - Accurate to 99,999 RPM Measurement: Home Improvement
nice... thanks for the tip:)