Look what followed me home!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Lucked onto an older gentleman with good taste in toys and he basically gave me (small labor barter) this sweet fiberglass bodied-go kart from the late 60's early 70's.

Came with a vintage 5hp briggs flathead that has a Montgomery Wards brand name on it!
Already pulled the head and the motor is is great shape. I fully expect it to start when I fill it with gas.
Love the monkey wards branding on this thing!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
More pics.
The chassis is completely home built with all bolted bent tubing construction, and a welded engine/drivetrain mounting plate.
It has a belt driven, chain reduction two wheel drive setup with an external band brake as well as a hand brake for slides.
Very reminiscent of early 70's popular mechanics style building with almost no welding and generic hardware store bearings and such.
Looks like someone really took some time building this for parades or something besides just the usual.
Really unique find and well worth saving! I'm proud to be the newest owner and hope to do it justice eventually.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Looks like you and Msrfan's Bronco:

can start a thread, just not Motor Bikes anymore?

MT

PS
So was this gokart kit that looks like a car ever finished by the guy you got it from, or as I see it now un-assembled but some good parts? The body looks good and you say the big 5hp should be OK? Lets see it all running!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks like you and Msrfan's Bronco:

can start a thread, just not Motor Bikes anymore?

MT
That's why it's posted here in the Tavern.
It was running when the tire blew and it got parked, he thinks it was 1974 but he's not sure.
He then got it torn down to rebuild and never touched it again because life happened while he was collecting parts. I'm the first person to do anything other than look at it since then.
Cool huh?
Got to do some research and see if I can find anything on the body.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
great maniac

I think I know the guys building these fiberglass bodies and have been for many years
I visited them the other day with a few fiberglass projects in mind you know what I am thinking about and gearing up to produce in about 15 different models

they have a few new models including a 59 chevy impala, a 32 chevy 2 door, a willys 41pickup and they are presently doing a 57 thunderbird

nice guys by the way
I had met them at the long beach veteran stadium about a year ago got a comet cvt for 20 from them

I too hit the jackpot today scored a *****in Hobart 110 handyman mig for 150 and a slew of bikes and frames including a cruiser with heavy duty spoked wheels an electra a what was a beautiful occ cruiser but the bob cat loader had smushed it I hate when that happens got a 3g that way and another micargi twisted but just what I need for my creations the occ I have already salvaged and will have the new original model rolling in the next few days and great tires and several gary fisher mountain bike frames with great forks!!

happy hunting

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
That is awesome Maniac!!!! Heres a sprint car I built years ago using a 4hp briggs, a garden tractor rear axle with reverse and I built the fiberglass body, and tube chasis. I built it to wheel pack a dirt oval track for racing rc cars.

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's an update:
It is a 1966 Thunderbird Jr. GoKart built by Powercar Company in Mystic, Conn.
It was built in late 1966 according to the 4k serial number and was available in Gas and Electric versions. They were very expensive for that time and were built in small numbers. Production stopped in early '67
There is a electric version in yellow right now on ebay for $2900.00 so apparently this thing is fairly collectable and quite rare. Less than 5 thousand bodies were ever made and many were destroyed by inexperienced drivers, so finding an original survivor in such excellent shape was a real lucky break! *Does a happy dance*
Some were used by Ford dealers to promote the T-birds and some were given away in various promotions.
It looks all original compared to the pictures I've seen, so it looks like I scored a rare original toy!
I can't wait to get it running. The bigger 5hp briggs (originally a 2.5 hp)will fit perfectly under the body with a carb and manifold change and the belt lines up straight!
I'm currently freeing and lubricating everything and replacing the rear tires. Fitting the flathead and checking the belt then dissasembling for lubrication.
Then it's on to drilling and mounting the flattie and testing it!!

Heres a link to some info http://www.jrcentral.com/thunderbird.html
Here are some more pics from today.

Notice how the belt tightens to engage the drivetrain...very unique!

I'll be fooling with this thing until I get it running again so stay tuned for more cool pictures of my fiddling.

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Look up junior t bird and you'll find more info....there's a guy somewhere out by Allentown pa that's always listing parts for these on eBay....usually the 56-57 ones I think...bumpers etc

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got the engine plate drilled and the 5hp mounted.

Also mounted a RT chinese bicycle engine carb and manifold to allow the bigger 5hp to clear the body in back. The stock briggs tank and carb are too big.

Everything bolted down tight and straight!
Test fire soon!

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
How are you gonna deal with the new gravity fed carb? I figure that you would want the tank in the car and not above the body on the hood lol? Maybe a fuel pump is in order... awesome project!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Still unsure how much I want to invest in this project...
It may make more sense to sell it.
Apparently they are worth quite a lot!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i'm sure they are worth more money running and driving. so keep at it. make sure the brakes match the speed and you have a kill switch or the test ride could be a disaster. ive seen it happen before.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah, get it running first if you plan on selling it. Probably sell it to the first guy and son who come look at it. That thing is nice.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It is sweet...the bigger engine will fit but needs a lot of mods. I'm unsure if it would hurt the value to get it running with the parts I have now.
Waiting to hear from a expert on The Powercar company vehicles...
Hopefully I'll know more soon.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Got the briggs 5hp started with the nt carb and manifold.
Runs like a top! I wonder how many years it's been since this engine made noises....
Now all I need is a V-belt centrifugal clutch for the drivetrain.