Clamshell Sprocket Adapters & Sprockets Survey

GoldenMotor.com

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi,

Any thoughts on the best clamshell adapter accompanying sprocket?

a. Manic Mechanic

b. Pirate Cycle

c. Sportsman

Did I miss any?

Your choice and why please?

Thank you.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
They all work and I have tried them all. If I have to choose it would be Sportsman for the quality and service. Sportman is a three piece which clamps better to the hub for hi- horsepower applications.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
They all work and I have tried them all. If I have to choose it would be Sportsman for the quality and service. Sportman is a three piece which clamps better to the hub for hi- horsepower applications.
Thank you.

Is his adapter universal ?
ie is there holes that mathch this standard iso holes for disc brakes and do other sprockets like pirate, king and sprocket from the chinese kit work with it?

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Culver,

Proper drive sprocket alignment and how its attached is a very important part of a gas motorized bicycle build.

I thought that this thread would've had a lot more interest.

My initial thoughts were the same as yours. Sportsman initially used what was originally available on his builds and then 'simply' improved the clamshell design.

I'll give Sportsman a call or email this week. I am hoping use my Chinese kit sprockets on this adapter as well.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Manic Mechanic, and Pirate Cycle adapters are identical, but Pirate has more choices.

eulogy

Jul 13, 2013
Rhode Island
ive an interest in this thread lol.. thats why ime here.. seems im going with a sportsman
but my hub is 1.5748 seems like an odd size to me

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I haven't tried the Sportsman version so can't really comment other than to say Pat always comes out with top notch stuff. I'm still running a Manic Mechanic version from some years back and had an extra sprocket for it, so when I needed another clam shell I got another to fit the sprocket I already had. Both have worked fine without a problem. And now I'm using either moped hubs which already have an engine side sprocket or belt drive which doesn't need a sprocket since it uses a sheave pulley. And as an aside, I have also used the kit rag joints which work OK for a normal build (not racing motor) if installed with great care. The clam shell is a more sure thing and simpler to do, plus gives you some lateral adjustment... worth the expense, in my opinion.
SB