There go my rides to the beach

GoldenMotor.com

Drumbum12191

Nov 15, 2011
Orange County, CA
Hello everyone, this is my first post about problems I've been having with my bike. I have a Grubee SkyHawk 66cc 2 stroke motor on your typical beach cruiser, and it seems like there is always something wrong. I've been able to fix all problems just with a little tinkering up until my latest problem. I went for a ride (about 5 miles) and let the bike sit outside while I stopped somewhere to eat. When I hopped back on and tried to start it up, the back wheel would lock and skid about 3-4 feet. I tried a several more times and the bike still wouldn't start. I pedaled the 5 miles home and its been sitting in my garage leaving me heartbroken for a couple weeks now. I've been searching threads on the site and just can't seem to figure it out. I've had clutch issues in the past, but recently replaced the camshaft, arm and clutch pin inside, so I don't think it's that. I'm wondering if it could be compression issues. I removed the spark plug yet the back wheel still locks when the clutch is released. My other guess would be a possible flooding somewhere... Has anyone had this problem before? Is an engine rebuild in my future? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Nick

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your chain tension. If you can rotate the back wheel with the spark plug removed, it's not a compression issue but the chain, if too loose can and will bunch up on the engine drive sprocket and lock up the rear wheel. Let us know what you find.
Tom

Drumbum12191

Nov 15, 2011
Orange County, CA
Hi 2Door, I am new to the world of motorized bicycles so I appologize for dumb/silly questions. Do you mean with or without the clutch engaged? I took out the spark plug and when the clutch is engaged the rear wheel moves, but when I release the clutch it locks.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
sounds like a ring might be catching on a port,,,
there are quite a few members here that are in the OC or close,,,possibly see if you can get one of them to help ???

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Remove the chain, remove the spark plug, remove the magneto cover. Now take a socket and rotate the crankshaft. What will it tell you? Weather it is a engine problem, and not a chain. If you still have a problem, remove the large clutch gear and try again.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Like Alf said, pop the covers and have a look...
if you were able to dis-engage the clutch and pedal home, the prob is in your two primary drive gears, or something attached to the crankshaft.
...Oh well...
How many miles u got on it?
Drop the exhaust pipe and look in there at the piston... to see what u can see...
rc

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but maybe you're needle valve got stuck and you got liquid fuel in the cylinder that wont compress? Did you try pulling the spark plug to see if it will turn over then? It should turn over real easy with the plug out (be careful not to let spark ignite fuel that may come out of the plug hole)

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
mty the gas tank. pull the plug, turn the bike upside down and see if gas leaks from the motor. if so rotate the motor. you might have to let it set awhile if it does close the petcock next time you park it