Motorized biking philosophy

GoldenMotor.com

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
I am not a gear head.

But, somewhere along the way I find myself completely enthralled with this notion of building my own unique ride.

So I decided to get busy on this project. However, I move a little slow and I am in no hurry to do this project without thoroughly enjoying each step in the process.

So, this should be an interesting marriage between my own problem solving abilities and the incorporation of other skilled participants to create my ride.

The more I get into the design of my build I quickly become aware of how convoluted my goals become.

Considering my weight, my height and my terrain and what exactly am I trying to do with the bike ... I have to take a step back.

At first I thought for sure .... I want a 4-stroke because of reliability; but then, I start thinking about 2 stroke because I like the "stealth" nature of it the bicycle looking like a B I C Y C L E.

.... but, I am tall and fat and I live next to the mountains and my commute to work is about 11 miles with fast cars on a narrow road that winds around.

So, what do I really want to do? I have a moped if I just want to commute now and then in the summer. I have cars. But when my kid is out of school this summer .... I want to tool into work on my beast ... maybe .... donno ...

.... maybe I should just forget about the commute and build something to joy ride out in the country where I live on back paved roads. ...

.... if I commute .... I almost need to get a really strong motor ... maybe a 212cc ...

.... but maybe I could build a bike that is 2 stroke .... if it has the power .... maybe it will have more power .... and then I would have the stealth .....

.... and maybe if its 2 stroke ..... I could just use it once in awhile .... for the commute to work ... in the summer .....

.... ....

... hmmmmmmmm

.... I know one thing for sure ... its gonna be a cruiser with ape hangers and its going to be an onex 29 .....

... maybe next year I will build a 32 ....

... once you go 29 ...... the wheel .... nobody is set up for it ..... its a lonely path ... but I am gonna take that path by God ....

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. Being a 6 footer I've considered a 29 incher. I've held back, though, because then so many of the spare parts I have, tires and wheels in particular, will not fit.

In your case I might not recommend commuting to work by MB. If I understand you right it sounds as though you have crowded roads and are thinking you need a bit of speed to mix in with the traffic. But then you'll be going faster than a bicycle should go.

If that's the case, and if I were in your shoes, then I'd consider getting the rain gear and reflective clothing necessary to use the scooter in most any weather. Then you'll still get your 'outdoor time'. But it'll be on a vehicle that can travel at such speeds more safely.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
"To each his own." None of us has exactly the same motivation for "doing" a mb. When I started mine, last year, I had some lofty ideals. A year later, I'm glad I don't have to ride it to work, would take most of the enjoyment from it. For about the same $, I bought a very nice Honda trail bike which is more road worthy, comfortable and reliable to a fault. My mb is miles ahead on the wow factor, and gets way more attention, it's just fun to work on and ride. I'm glad I don't have to rely on it as a daily.

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
bikes get scarey quick. keep it at 50km/h or less. 35 km/h is a nice average. 212cc is like way to big. shoot for a gentle pull up the biggest hills in your area.

lugging a small engine w a long power curve is the most fun u can have day to day. hide a 4 stroke is the best under something like a box or better.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
On a first build, I would definitely buy a kit motor, like the China Girl 2 stroke or 49cc Huasheng 4 stroke. You can always gear the bike lower if the motor seems to struggle to pull you.
Commuting by motorbike is fun for me on roads with speed limits of 40mph or less. When the speed limits are faster, it can be very uncomfortable.
I used to commute to work 50 miles round trip by China girl motorbike once a week, After a 50 mile commute, I normally needed some time for maintenance because there were a lot of red lights and it was rough on the clutch.
I think four stroke kits are a little better for commuters, because the have an auto-clutch and you don't need to pre-mix gas and oil.
We have had plenty of big fellas in the forum so don't let that stop you from building a motorbike.

DDbike

May 5, 2014
Johnson City, TN
Thanks all.

I am thankful for this moment in my life just to be able to have the time to build a bike.

Its a lot of fun. I got the 4-stroke from Bikeberry. Maybe I should have gotten the Predator from Harbor Freight .... but .... its not going to be a perfect build the first time out ...

.... I think I will just use the moto bike in town at the office and tool around on the flats of old downtown where I work ....

... think I will stay away from the commute ....

... been tooling around in the country side with my 1 year old Zuma from Yamaha ...... its about 3000 new .... I got it from a guy for a third of that ...

... I can go about 20 up a steep grade and 40 down a hill ...

... I don't need a lot of speed .......

...yea ,,, .... taking a scenic curve at a steady rate and hearing the engine hum ...... its just fine ...