best 4 stroke engine?

GoldenMotor.com

bornintheussr

Jul 18, 2011
bronxville, ny
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, build few 2 stroke bikes in the past but never had a chance to do anything with 4 stroke engine. If anybody can give me an idea what would be the best engine to start with.
Thanks a lot,
Alex

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Would help to know what kind of build you are considering, in frame or rack mount, and what the speed and load ranges are. There are a bunch of great 4 strokes, some are easier that others to build around.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
All I can say is, I have a 79 cc / 2.5 hp Harbor Freight Greyhound engine (4 stroke) and it is fit as a fiddle. Pulls strong and isn't as big as other industrial type (Briggs & Stratton) 4 strokes.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Depends on what you want in terms of size, IE displacement/HP, dimensions and weight.
Any discussion of best 4 strokes would include the Robin and Honda 35cc engines. Honda also makes a 50cc class engine though personally I'm not a fan of wide, heavy engines and prefer the 35cc class for MBs.

hill8692

Jul 23, 2011
USA
These are the internal combustion engine which has do 4 works to complete 1 cycle basically these engines are being used in motorbikes which gives better performance comparative to 2 stroke engines.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
And lets not forget sound a lot better than 2 strokes ! Truth of the matter is is larger 2 strokes (125 ccs and up) put out more HP per cc than 4 strokes because there are more power strokes of the piston per RPM. But for some unknown (except for a fisicist maybe knows) reason " little " 4 strokes put out better usable power per torque than little 2 strokes (unless 2 stroke is made high performance). Little 2 strokes can put out unreal power per cc if tricked out. But the sound of them in this state of tune is pretty much unbearable IMO. 4 strokes are heavier per HP but put out more usable torque an easier to live with. And lets not forget, usually a lot more dependable and sound more pleasant than a 2 stroke. dnut