British Automobiles

GoldenMotor.com

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
interesting thread, i just took on a new job after being une,ployed for 6 months. we have a group o0f bently owners coming in and we really no bs installed a lift in our garage for them i think someone is gonna lift it in to the cei;ingand in england they say it gayrage. just having some fun so dont get uptight6 my british freinds, frank

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Motor Bicycle Building Book 4 FREE!

Meowy84, they weren't racing, they were trying to stay ahead of the parts that were falling off.

Had a 1959 3.4 Jaguar sedan in 1966. Rust rotted beyond belief but it ran like a dream for a while. Trans started to give out {auto}, front end was crapped out and I washed it and went home and when I turned the headlights on, the car filled with smoke. Got it home and called the insurance company. Took it to the auto electric co. and they took ten days to to replace 10ft of wire. One man worked on it almost the whole ten days.
He couldn't find the burnt wire.
When I picked it up the owner told me to "never, ever bring that f***ing car" back to his shop.

My son, who lives in New Hampshire, worked in a very high end auto salvage yard and the owner, a former Jaguar mechanic, told his buyer that the first time he brought a Jaguar in the yard he was fired.
Yes they are beautiful cars. Beauty is only skin deep.

Sold my Jag and bought a 1966 Triumph Spitfire off the show room floor and drove it from Toronto to LA on route 66. Did route 66, in a 66, in 66. Never had a scrap of trouble with the car.
Not so lucky with the girl I went to see.

Steve.
Steve,
I once read a very informative article in an automotive magazine about 'smoke'. Essentially it warned against never letting the smoke leak out of the electrical system of your car. The theory was that all electrical systems of cars were powered by smoke. To prove the point it said that in evey instance when the smoke escaped from wiring or an electrical part of a car...it would not run again. The author specifically centered on British cars and particularly Lucas and Bosch electrical parts. He also maintained that the larger the wire, the more smoke it carried to perform its task. Example: Small wires or parts, if they leaked smoke would only leak a little but the larger the wire, the more smoke it carried. Battery cables, being the largest wire in an automobile obviously carry the largest amount of smoke by virtue of what happens when one leaks. Smaller wires, #16 or #18 wires only carry a little smoke. If they fail you'll see the difference between how much smoke comes out compared to a battery cable.
Over the years I've found this theory to apply to all things electrical. Every time I've witnessed smoke escaping from an electrical part, no matter what that part was...it never worked again. My wife's washer is an example. One day several months ago she was doing a load of laundry when suddenly there was a cloud of smoke emitting from the control panel of the washer...it never ran after that. Judging from that and numerous other examples I'm convinced that all things eletrical...are powered by...smoke.
Tom

Last edited:

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Tata Motors Ltd ? / i need to shut up and learn

Tata Motors Ltd ? Well there was a lot more history to the jaguar than I knew . I thought someone here had crossed wires because I thought the car was made in Germany . My misinformed self and I . My uncle owned an XKE jaguar when I was an child . I think he said it was an ( 12 cylinder ? ) He was an state cop and was making a good amount of money for someone born in coal mine country ( the Alleghany mountains) . Anyways , Wow this car went through a lot , did it not ? History and all . The XKE he had , reminded me of the 390 Mustang Grande in the rear end . Both cars ran like the lightning back in those days and were every mans dream , but seemed to lose control easy in the rear ends and spin on turns and seemed light on the ¼ mile too in my view and many other peoples views . Unlike the 440 roadrunners and chargers , cudas and such , I saw the jags and spitfires more of an touring car with speed that such people in the musical group pink Floyd would tour Europe in , in my view. Than compared to the get down dirty four on the floor hurst driven turbo charged gas guzzling e.p.a carefree 0 - to - 120 in nothing flat American made power machines that the the cops had to get Plymouth furies to catch us rocking the world with a great thundering sound which made the rest of the world aww and envy back in the days I drove them . , and were actually the main stars in such movies as vanishing point , .‘Reminds me of such great historical figures as Richard Petty and hmmm . LOL well just Petty is all I can think of , well maybe Mario Andretti lol , Well he sold the XKE when he should had gave it to me as an keep sake . Don’t yall think so ? Like an good uncle should ? Gump Happens Don’t It ? P.S. I liked the old jags a whole lot better than the new ones . Are there new model spitfires out now ? 2009s or 10s ? LET ME OUT OF HERE BEFORE I GET TOO EXCITED AND START RUNNING MY MOUTH if its not too late . All good stories must end
Jaguar Cars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
My first English car and only English car was the same company that made the
English Double Deck busses aircraft engines and industrial engines. They went in the car making business in the early 30s. A small car with 12" wheels and air cooled engines later models had a welded plate steel block and a cast iron overhead valve head mechanical breaks right hand drive. What a piece of junk. No wonder they went default. American investers bought them out and started making cars in the USA. The made roadsters woody station wagons sedans and pick up trucks from late 40s to about 1955. Can you guess who they were? No? The Crosly Automobile Company. They were someewhat advanced for their time. They still had the 12" wheels but left hand drive haudralic brakes, 3 speed on the floor and a 4 cylinder overhead cam engine, Auto light electrical system Smith gauges. Mine was an L2 roadster with continental kit rag top no roll up windows. The top was hand lifted and blew up like a balloon if you went over 40mph. Other than that it was a well made little car with the bath tub looking body. Mine was a 1951 model. I drove it all the time I went to trade school in Mankato MN and got 50mpg. It was quite dependable but hard starting in cold weather. I some times had to hand crank it to get it going. The one option I had on it was a Stuart Warner gasoline heater and I needed that in that cold weather. It worked in my student defined limited budget. There were no dealerships and you could buy one from your local hard ware store or department store. The service departments were your local appliance repair shop because the same company made refrigerators stoves and washing machines. You didn't get much service information because they new more about appliances than they did cars. I sold it in 1957 and bought a 1957 Chevy BelAir.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Buzzard,
I remember seeing ads for the Crosley, but don't know that I ever saw one in real life. It's hard to picture one in snowy Mankato. When I was in school a friend had one of those Metropolitans which I think had an MG engine in it. It was a convertible and you needed to either be very small or a contortionist to ride in that thing. Of course we tried to load multiple passengers in it with little success. It was a convertible if I remember right. One ugly little car it was. Seems to me it was three speed on the column, 4 cylinder of course. Very uncool in our eyes back then. My father bought a Ford Anglia when Volkswagen Beetles were the rage. I drove that Anglia a good bit as a sixteen year old. Ran well enough, but it was another uglymobile. Even the Beetles looked nice next to it. I wonder what that Crosley of yours would be worth now... close to a bazillion dollars, I imagine.
SB

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
SB glad to see you back home, you and Moosh both.
Look up Crosley cars on the web. There's a host of information and pictures. My Dad always gave me a bad time about my choice of automobiles being that he worked for Chrysler most of his life. He used to come home with big old fin tailed DeSotos big Dodge Town & Country station wagons, I told him it looked like he hadn't even taken it out of the crate yet. Back in those days you were somewhat of a nut driving around in little small cars like Crosley's and VWs. Now we drive around in plastic and electronic nightmares. Just different strokes for different folks.
Have a Good Day.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I would LOVE to have an Anglia SB!
Somehow I don't think that Anglia came from the factory that way. LOL

You guys are F***ING hilarious!!

Didn't this thread start as Crazy Horse's link to an out of print scratchbuilding/homemade motorcycle thread?

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Somehow I don't think that Anglia came from the factory that way. LOL

You guys are F***ING hilarious!!

Didn't this thread start as Crazy Horse's link to an out of print scratchbuilding/homemade motorcycle thread?
Way back in another life I worked with a guy who was building a pro street Anglia and other then his having spindle front rims and being metallic brown it didn't look a whole lot different then that picture.

I've always though they were one of the cooler street rods mainly because they're different.

Call me crazy but I've always thought the Volvo 544 was cool too.

Even though it's not British if you look close there's an Anglia in the background. laff

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
The old Volvos are definitely cool. One of my obvious favorites is the P1800. I'm going from memory on this but if I recall correctly the B10 engine (I think it's called the B10 family) that was put into the P1800 and other Volvos holds the Guiness record for longevity with one having covered something around 1,500,000 miles without an overhall. Pretty impressive for a gasoline engine.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Way back in another life I worked with a guy who was building a pro street Anglia and other then his having spindle front rims and being metallic brown it didn't look a whole lot different then that picture.

I've always though they were one of the cooler street rods mainly because they're different.

Even though it's not British if you look close there's an Anglia in the background. laff
Yeah, that's the British Ford Anglia in the background. My dad's was white and it seemed like the weird rear window was even more raked than that, but I suppose I just remember it that way because I disliked the look so much. I really wanted to be cool since I had a drivers license and at sixteen was on the cusp of manhood, but that car and cool just didn't go together well. At least I knew my girlfriend wasn't with me because of my awesome ride. We used to cruise through drive ins on the weekends for a Mighty Mo burger and a coke, but I really disliked being seen in that car. When I got my Austin Healy 3000 roadster... now that was cool and I was instantly elevated into a whole new level a cool guyness (I believe that's a word). In my mind anyway. It was a beautiful machine, so was the design of the XKE Jaguar. That first Anglia picture was pretty neat, Kevlar. That one I like. The Healy design was a bit like some of the Aston Martins and the later AC Ford Cobra. I saw one of the first Cobras at a race track make the Jags look like they were standing still. I wanted one, of course. Five decades later I'm happy with my 87 Jeep Cherokee. Kinda old guy cool and my hairy date has four legs. Is this progress?
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB glad to see you back home, you and Moosh both.
Look up Crosley cars on the web. There's a host of information and pictures. My Dad always gave me a bad time about my choice of automobiles being that he worked for Chrysler most of his life. He used to come home with big old fin tailed DeSotos big Dodge Town & Country station wagons, I told him it looked like he hadn't even taken it out of the crate yet. Back in those days you were somewhat of a nut driving around in little small cars like Crosley's and VWs. Now we drive around in plastic and electronic nightmares. Just different strokes for different folks.
Have a Good Day.
Hey buzzard,
It sure is good to be home. In about an hour I'm leaving on a fishing trip with my brother and a neighbor... about an hour traveling on big Lake Vermilion and then over to Trout Lake for another hour or so. I've been swimming in my lake (Eagles Nest #3), but this will be the first time on the water... awesome. I get in a boat and listen to the engine, smell the exhaust a bit, all that water and beautiful shoreline... loons and mallards and now and then a Heron lifting off like a pterodactyl from another age and I am a happy boy again. Hope to be eating Walleye this evening! Thanks for your help in getting me here, Bud.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Buzzard, we've got two 1958 Plymouths sitting beside the house. One is a 4 door wagon that is going to be restored as soon as my nephews 1946 Chev 2 ton is finished.

Been looking at Crosleys with the idea of redoing one. To old to tackle anything bigger.

In the early 70's a fella wanted to sell me a Thames panel like the one in the picture but all stock. Crook wanted $250 and I wouldn't pay it. Taught him a lesson.

Had both a 444 and 544 Volvo. Great cars.

In the mid 60"s my long suffering parents back yard held a

1939 LaSalle hearse
1931 Ford Model A leather back, slant windshield, town sedan
1954 Ford. Still flat head in Canada
1964 Vauxhall Envoy Epic. New
3 assorted British motor cycles under a tarp
1 Really unhappy Dad tell oldest son that the wrecker was on its way.

Steve.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
What about the Saab 96? Anyone have experiene with those? I always liked their quirky looks but never owned one. Not to mention the Tatra 603 with the rear mounted air-cooled V8. Tatra always made vehicles with unorthodox engines and suspensions. Their off-road trucks are extremely capable.