i found frame, would it be dumb to motorise?

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
help me id this hiawatha!!!!!!
That's my hiawatha that I found and I was curious if if became a motorbike if it would be damaging. Its got a 3 speed sturmy and caliperbrakes. Only mod would be taking off stock rear fender and swap for my choped one and fliping the bars to make it more comfortable. Thanksdrn2
Crap, can't edit title, how do I move thread?

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I couldn't access your pictures of the Hiawatha, so could you post them on this site? I just bought a Hiawatha and I think its a Western Flyer made by Shelby. I'm trying to find out the year and if it has some value as just the bike itself. Here's some pics of mine. I've got all the parts, just had to take it apart to load in my car.

Attachments

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
The very same, only this one dosent have the tank. Haven't had any work from the owner since turkey-day so dunno if I'll ever get it.

I can't post pics from my cellphone (kinda makin me angry)

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Wate, does yours have tabs welded to the seat post tube for caliper brakes porch lizzard?

Edit: sorry looked at the pics again. Mines aittle different on the fact that it has a small mount on the seat post tube. Do you think if I emailed the pics to you could you post them for me?

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
charlichaindrive.....My Hiawatha doesn't have any tabs on the seat post, and I'm not sure if the fender mount will work for calipers. You can e-mail the pictures to [email protected] , but I'm not sure if I can figure out how to post them. At least, I'd get to see your bike. I've seen pics of a 1954 red one and will try to post a usable pic.

Attachments

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Its the same frame but mine has some different features that really confused some people on the cabe.g. This one has a really large shelby type springer and the caliper breaks.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Charliechaindrive... Had any luck on identifying your Hiawatha? What are the #'s on the Hiawatha that you've got? There should be #'s on the bottom of the crank, and #'s on the front fork badge (if you have one). There may be a decal on the front forks, and if so does it mention Gambles? What's your chain ring look like? If you take pic's with your phone you should be able to e-mail them to yourself, and then post here.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
B32247 and there's a secont number that is _50. I can't read it . Icant rad the badge either its got red house paint on it. It has the hiawatha indian head on the badge and the name on it.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I finally found a place to identify old bikes NBHAA and run by Leon Dixon. He told me my Hiawatha is a St. Croix , and that it has some parts from other bikes. He's sending me a detailed report on the first Hiawatha I bought, and also the second one. The sites address is [email protected]. The crank housing #'s on my two Hiawatha's are: H05108 ACw and E54800 ACw . They are made by Cleveland Welding Co.