Chain differences

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
OK, this is probably a stupid question but I am building up a new bike from a frame I got at a bike swap and a box of parts I have in the garage. I would like to use a single front sprocket from a beach cruiser style bike in the front with a multi-gear rear hub from a mountain bike. Will this work? If not are there any suggestions on how to rig something together that will work. One suggestion I have heard is to put a front derailer on and simply lock it in place without a control.
Thanks all!

scratg

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure all bike chains are the same pitch. The single speed chain that your cruiser would have originally used is not designed for bikes that shift though but multi speed type chain should work fine with the cruiser's front sprocket.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OK, this is probably a stupid question but I am building up a new bike from a frame I got at a bike swap and a box of parts I have in the garage. I would like to use a single front sprocket from a beach cruiser style bike in the front with a multi-gear rear hub from a mountain bike. Will this work? If not are there any suggestions on how to rig something together that will work. One suggestion I have heard is to put a front derailer on and simply lock it in place without a control.
Thanks all!

scratg
Fin,
What the other guy said is true; the chain is the same. It should make no difference if you have a front derailer or not. The rear cassett (sprockets) will take the cruiser chain with no problems. You'll end up with how many speeds, (gears) you have rear sprockets for. In other words if the rear cassett has five sprockets, you'll have 5 gears. Hope this answeres your question. There's no need to install a non functional front derailer.
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Thanks! Whenever I asked about chains at bike shops they always want to know what type of bike I have so I assumed there were differences in the chains. I never could figure out the shifting patterns on those serious multi speed bikes so I wanted to set myself up with a simpler system. Plus with all the other controls involved with a motorized bike I wanted to keep things simple. Hopefully I will have this thing in mock-up phase shortly so I can take some pictures. It will be a weird Mountain Bike/Cruiser hybrid. Should be interesting.