26X1.95 cruiser tire

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I switched from the standard Schwinn Cruiser tire to Bell 26X1.95 Kevlar tires. They were 20 bucks each. My chain rubbing problem disappeared, and the ride is not noticeably harder (pavement).

This is some sort of a review/ advice. It would be fantastic if a moderator would re-title and re-section this if needed.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I picked up some Kenda K838 street tires on Amazon about a month ago. After 100 miles they still look brand new. I don't know how durable those Bell tires are with the Kevlar, but hopefully more durable than the Schwinn tires you had before. I previously had the stock tires from a Walmart mountain bike, and after 200 miles the tread on the back tire was almost completely gone.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I don't think they're so good BBB. They don't have 50 miles on them and the rear is showing more wear than I think it should. I'll keep an eye on these and get some pics.
I've read good things about Kenda tires. I intend to put good rubber on this, but I had to have something so I thought I'd give kevlar a shot. $20 was cheap enough, but it'll probably be a waste. I like Panaracer Comet Hardpack tires for this eventually.
I may have made a post... my Schwinn front tire 'broke', it came nearly apart along the sidewall. Think gauze pad between the bead and tread, about 3/4" wide. It sounded, and felt, like somebody hit the bike frame with a steel pipe! It held air, and I rode it the five blocks home- slowly:)

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I think that this may be my next tire.....

Schwalbe Marathon GG RLX Wire Bead Tire

Kind of a kick in the pants that 2 replacement tires will cost almost as much as the bike did when it was new!! :D

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
All the shwalbe tire's I've tried tended to creep on the rim and tear out valve stems.
Keep a close eye on them and watch the pressure to prevent this....

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
A year later and...

Pic 1: The front tire. I mounted this one with the tread reversed (or properly oriented?). This was because I believe the tread may grip better under breaking pressure.

Pic 2: And the rear. This tread orientation appears to give the best traction from this tread pattern.

These tires come with a 3 1/2 mm tread depth at the crown of the tread. After an unknown amount miles, the front is still 3mm, but the rear is now 1mm. I forget the recommended psi, but I inflate these to about 45 psi.

I have been riding on snow and ice, and as long as I don't turn too sharply, these grip quite well.

I have noticed that the bead of the tire, as it aligns along the rim, is not a consistently even distance away. Remounted them a couple times, but couldn't get them perfect. Obviously it works, but I can't recommend it.

So overall, I recommend these for cheap tires.

Anybody else want to chime in on these?

Attachments