Raleigh Talus 3.0 2-stroke driect drive

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The Raleigh Talus 3.0 mountain bike is a nice bicycle for $350, very light carbon frame and good parts, but not something you want to motorize unless you have time to get creative.

The down bar is square and changes size and shape it's whole length, the chainstay bars have a Z-shape with the bend right where the tensioner needs to go for a direct drive, and nothing on the handlebars can be re-used as the shifters are trigger/brake combo's, and I needed to buy longer bolts to mount the CDI.

The customer bought the bike at the bike shop around the corner from me.
I pulled both shifter/brake controls and front derailleur off and they let me swap them for a nice 7 speed rotary shifter for the back and my favorite foam grips, and I used an SBP brake lever so it worked out, but you may not be so lucky.

I used a SBP front mount but put the flat part on the flat frame, then took a grinder to the half round muffler clamp bracket and packed a doubled up piece of grip to protect the frame, and I managed to mount the tensioner on the middle part of the Z and then just bend the top so the idler wheel was in line with the chain.

A tough build so I'd look at other bike options but I'll be darned if the thing doesn't really ride like a dream and look pretty cool ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That build is a poor example good cabling, everything is so cramped and close even after sizing all the cables except the throttle which has two fixed ends I just use 11" black zip-ties from ACE, I buy them by the 100 count bags as I use a lot of them.

I am very pleased with the newest CNS carbs and Z intake, I have about 25 builds with the 2012 Skyhawk GT-5 66 and GT-2B 48cc kits from gasbike.net.
Of those roughly...

3 needed the float bowl drain screw tightened. Gas in the drain tube.

2 needed float bowl fuel metering work like a stuck gas flow needle pin or float level adjustment. Gas in the overflow tube.

1 showed an overflow leak. Gas in the overflow tube, but it did it with just the bowl half full! Turns out the needle they punch in the float bowl bottom was loose and leaking there. A tap with KC's Silver Hammer fixed that frustration.

2 had the brass gas line fitting inserted into the cab pull out pulling the gas line off. KC's Silver Hammer fixed those too.

This is said hammer ;-}

Things I don't like.

Air cleaner. Though it functions great the carbs mount won't take all the other filters out there.

All the friggn'n tubes. all that should vent into the air cleaner from the carb.

Things I am glad are fixed.

Overflow from faulty flow needle. The news ones have a teflon tip.

Air leaks. The rubber gasket is larger and the Z pipe is tapered so the carb butts right up in place.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
You should see my cabling. lol Every-friggin-where.

Seems like an alright carb. Would you recommend it to someone that already has a CNS carb? Looking at the pictures it looks like the lids will swap from carb to carb. What bikes require the offset intake and what do not? I'm going to be swapping it onto my Huffy and I don't think it will require the intake, but I never know since I might be doing something different with my engine soon...
Also, FWIW, my CNS has had that brass fitting come off too, I smack it back in with my wrench. lol

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The lids will swap but the old ones work too, they just need air leak sealing and air adjust, the new ones don't have the separate idle air mix screw.

The Z intake comes with all my new motor kits and work great but sure, you can use a shorty if the air cleaner will fit.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I think it was Desert Rat that said you can drill out/off the metal where the air mixture screw is and there is a screw underneath it. All of the carbs on Gasbikes site show the air mixture, but I figured my luck it changed. lol How do you adjust the idle mixture? Not at all, just the idle speed now? I was playing with my carb the other day and got it running really well considering it had a small air leak.

I think I'll go ahead and get the offset intake just to be sure.