Night Ride

GoldenMotor.com

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I love night riding, however I really need to invest in a light. I hate to admit being caught late in the afternoon far from home without a headlamp and having to ride totally dark. It's unsafe I know.

The really terrible thing is that your eyes can totally adjust to the darkness and you can then see fine, its the headlights of cars that makes you blind!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have three lights mounted on my bike at all times. The only light I take off and remove is my Norman light. That one currently is on a friends bike.

They work okay, more light would be better but its not bad. The camera for some reason just does not pick up how well they are really working.

I also wear a safety vest all the time day or night, just like my helmet I don't ride without it. I just took it off so everyone could see my cool Motorbicycling.com T-shirt lol.

Attachments

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Dave, I had two lights similar to the one in the middle and both of them came loose when I hit a small bump on the road. I think mine was made by Bell. All I heard was it hitting the ground. I went back to look for it but it must have flew off into the brush.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Dave, I had two lights similar to the one in the middle and both of them came loose when I hit a small bump on the road. I think mine was made by Bell. All I heard was it hitting the ground. I went back to look for it but it must have flew off into the brush.
If you notice, all my lights are taped and or zipped tied to avoid this problem. I too have lost a few lights over the years myself :oops:

The two black ones have been on this bike since day one that was two years ago. The gray ever ready light was a recent add on last summer.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Do they make a bracket that will fit one of these:
See the one on the far left with the grey eveready light. Thats the very same style of light. I picked it up at ACE for $5. It came with a cheap light that I lost when i was using it for something else but I purchased that everready and it fit perfect.

Attachments

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
See the one on the far left with the grey eveready light. Thats the very same style of light. I picked it up at ACE for $5. It came with a cheap light that I lost when i was using it for something else but I purchased that everready and it fit perfect.
Thanks, I will check my local ACE store. They got lots of hard to find hardware that the big hardware stores don't fool with.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I ride with a four light system on my handle bars, which are bmx bars with the thick cross member on it and they're high enough to clear my tour pack i carry on my front rack of my bike as well. Theyre bright enough to give me a good light pattern on the road at night to as well and i to also taped and zipped tied mine in place as well. The lights i use are two bright 3 l.e.d. bell dawn patrol lights that act as flood beams and two bright 4 l.e.d. bell lumina head lights that act as spot beams. I crossed the two lumina head light togher just enough to look like a single bright circle spot on the road though,and i keep thetwo dawn patrol lights spaced just enough to flood the road in conjunction with the lumins head lights. I can see reflective sufaces almost 300 feet away from me with my head light set up to as well.

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I use the left light (closest to oncoming traffic) in the flashing mode. and the other two are to help me see the dangers of the road.

For the rear i have a light mounted right underneath my seat, and another one that either gets mounted on the rear of my rack when I have it mounted or mounted on the left side of my chain stay.

Sometimes if its going to be a long night ride i will add a red lens to my Norman light for the rear. If I dont plan on heavy traffic I use it on the bars.

I lent out my Norman light and I'm having trouble getting it back lol. I want it back its not the same without it. It gives me piece of mind knowing if my battery's go dead i still have something.

Another thing I do to my store bought lights is extend the spring or tab that makes contact with the battery's. This eliminates any of the lights going off during heavy bumps or vibration. Anything you can do to help the battery's from jumping around will help your light work better and last longer.

On my Bell light which has side by side battery's, the battery's are all taped up with electrical tape to help the bouncing so that there is always contact.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was just watching my old video of a night ride and I have seen this many times with my videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwW1-q5b2Y&list=UUOpY8mwJ0pUp2qU_8PH7qjA&index=39

If you notice at the beginning of the video at Speedway and I-10 there is a silver PT cruiser next to me with front fender damage.

If you continue to watch, 4 1/2 miles later that car is still next to me to where it finally makes a right turn in front of me.

It just goes to show how you can get around town just as fast as a automobile even doing 20mph. many of my videos show the same car at every light for miles and miles.

Last edited: