Short Woman Problems

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've done a lot of the OCC chopper builds before there was even a mount kit for it. With the mount kit the motor just drops in, no problem. The 24 inch should be low enough, especially with the seat droped all the way down. The only thing I didn't like about them is that they ride a little stiff. That may have been because I'm 6' and well over 200 lbs. But they sure look cool.

Attachments

WannaBButch

Dec 15, 2012
Oklahoma
Those mount kits are expensive though and I don't have the ability to make my own. That's why it will be a future build that will take some time. And about that gas tank being mounted to the back... good idea.... I already have bruises from the tank.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Yay! Welcome! Another woman with her own spanners! My Dad and brothers were in the motor and metal trades and i got taught how to do my own car repairs as well as how to weld and use a lathe. Possibly they just wanted to make sure I wasn't in their ears all the time wanting them to do things for me, but the upshot is that for most of my life I've always been one to mess about with cars and motorbikes pulling them apart and putting them back together again.

Quite a bit can be done with motorising and modifying bikes without having to weld. The main thing is to have a go, folk who never made a mistake never did anything. I still remember the expression on my Dad's face when he found me in the garage with my car's front suspension in pieces and me plainly not having a clue how to get it back together again.

Again welcome to the forum, there's a lot of very clever people here who know a good deal about motorising bicycles so help is just a question away.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Last edited:

Harley59

Aug 19, 2012
Vancouver, bc
Yea...! Hubbie had time to work on my seat post today. I can now get my feet (in shoes) to reach the ground almost flat footed, solid ball of foot and I don't have to be at a curb to get a good solid take off.

In a hunt to get a seat post for his pretty one (crusier build) we went to a bike co-operative on Main Street called Our Community Bikes. In Vancouver, Bike shops are everywhere, but co-ops are a rareity. They are a very good place to go for help and parts. I also like that they are supportive and not condesending about motorised bikes.

I hate it when I have someone talk down to me like I don't have a clue, specificly when I have a request that is completely ignored. I was at another shop that is highly thought of, I wanted my tire tubes replaced because they had those silly stems that you need an adapter to fill them with and I figured that with all the work being done that I might as well change those as well. She gave me the adapter for them, great not what I wanted at all, and when I called her on it I was told "Oh no, this is much better". When I mentioned that I was going to motorise it you could see the contempt and her whole attitude changed. God I hated the look I got.

Neither of us will darken thier door again and if asked we will give them recomendations for other more tolerent places Like OCB or Bike Doctor who think our builds are Kool.

Harley

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Well, the seatpost change went pretty smoothly, the new post definately reduces the height of the seat by over an inch.

The original post held the seat by the rails, but it held them at the top of it's height. The replacement is a different style, and I have it holding the rails down low.

Replacement on the left, original on the right:

So, with the original post the seat sat like this at it's lowest possible position:

The replacement post drops the height by over an inch:

Here's the old post next to the (installed) replacement. I tried to hold it at the height it had been installed at for comparison.

Not bad for five bucks, and Harley's happy with it. (^)