Looking for Advice

GoldenMotor.com

kmengus

Aug 5, 2012
Phoenix
i own an older race style bike i think it a suncycle and i want to motorize it how do i do this and can on race style bike would i be better off trying to do a mountain bike or beach cruiser. i guess what im asking is what is benfits of each and postives if u can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
An older road bike is doable if you ditch the drop handlebars and replace them with cruiser bars (and brake levers).
However, a mountain bike has much stronger wheels. I would save your suncycle for pedalling and get a sturdy mountain bike for motorizing. You can get used ones on craigslist pretty cheap.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The best advice I could give you is to read this forum and keep on reading. Click on any headline that looks interesting, even if it's not related to your specific question.

In no time at all you'll start picking up info. Some of it will be useful immediately, some of it'll be useful later. Very soon the bike you want will start to form in your mind.

And the tips and info you've picked up here will help to keep you from making mistakes in your build.

Good luck and have fun.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If riding comfort is a consideration then the skinny tires on a road bike, the dropped bars and riding position will detract from the pleasure of a ride. The fat tires and seating position of a cruiser typically offers the best ride. Add a suspension front fork and a lay back seat post and you can ride for miles without too much discomfort.

Bike styles usually boil down to builder preference. You'll need to experiment and see what works best for you. Of course that means you'll have to build more than one bike, but that seems to come naturally anyway :)

Tom