The Atomic BB got low

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm diggin the look of dis. I ordered a new set of wheels. The front will have a drum brake. The handling is a little weird, but I'm getting used to it. It seems more stable at higher speeds. At low speeds it's a beast. The ride is real smooth though.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Looks like you might need shorter cranks.....

dnut
Maybe so. The peddles strike at anything besides straight up turns lol. It's still a work in progress.

I think shorter crank arms, and an extra tooth on the rear sprocket.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For some reason this bike makes me think of Rat Fink when I ride it now. The forks are kind of entertaining to look at when you're riding down the street.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Pretty cool. Someone made a tribute Indian a while back on here and used a set of the bent front forks. They modified the frame to make it looped and it took up a bit of the space between the frame and the bars. I'll try and post a pic. they also added a mock springer on there as well. The pic. shows the Harley tribute better.

Edit: Ok so now that I look at it, maybe it's not a bent front fork and more in the frame angle but the basic appearance makes it look similar.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I like it. It sort of has that 'down & dirty' look now.

I imagine the turning radius is longer. That's why it feels "weird". Changing the steering geometery will do that. Still, it looks cool.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I like it. It sort of has that 'down & dirty' look now.

I imagine the turning radius is longer.

Tom
Thanks Tom.

Yeah, longer turning radius is an understatement. Turning in general is real interesting, as in, I hope I don't fall down interesting. It feels like a cross between a battleship and a bucking bronco lol.

It'll probably help when I put a front brake on it. The Atominc BB is getting a little long in tooth, but the motor still runs about like new. A little better maybe. I've worn out 3 wheels riding it, and the rear wheel is about worn out now.

I think it's about time I update the wheels.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I like it! How about a banana seat and some ape hangers?

Fabienne: Whose bicycle is this?
Butch: It's a chopper, baby.
Fabienne: Whose chopper is this?
Butch: It's Biknut's.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm trying to figure out how to replace the peddle crank with a crank that has shorter crank arms.

The problem seems to be trying to find a crank that matches my 121 mm bottom bracket. Most of them I see are for a narrower spindle width, like a 110, or 115mm.

Does anyone kow how important it is for them to match perfectly?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Three days now, and I'm diffinitly getting used to the steering. I'm getting a lot better riding through turns. I can even take my hand off the bar long enough for a short wave.

Peddle cruising, is still a challange. I'm getting used to the amount of force it takes to turn. It's not as scary that you're going to dump it any second, like it was at first.

My peddles are way too long now. I'm going to need to gear it down too, because of the shorter crank arms.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
All in all I love the look. For my kind of inner city riding it's big fun, and the soft ride is appreciated.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Don't even think about going around a corner fast with these forks. Yesterday I was approaching a left turn just as a car was stopping at the stop sign on my left. I didn't have to stop so I signaled a left turn to let the lady know I'm crossing her bow. In an effort to look cool, and clear the intersection fast, I gassed it as I made the turn. Right in the middle of the turn, next to her front fender my front tire started skipping across the street sideways. Kind of like a flat rock on a pond.

Somehow it's still exciting, but not as much fun as it used to be.

it was a nice clean cement street, and I wasn't going that fast. The forks were shaking like jello, when it started skipping. It was riveting to watch.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
:eek: That'd raise the 'pucker factor' happening in the path of a car. Is there any way to adjust the rebound? Or were you just leaning back too much? :p
No amount of adjusting or damping would help. The fork legs, there's about 4 of them, are so flexi the wheel just starts having a mind of it's own. I'm just glad the whole thing doesn't collapse at speed.

My confidence level is rising, probably because I haven't dumped it yet. I think I'm about up to cocky now. I was just terrorizing the hood, doing little wheelies off the driveways, and blasting wfo with gay abandon down the bigger streets. Yeah, I said gay lol.

If anyone else was doing this I'd call them an idiot, but it's alright because I know what I'm doing.

:crash::ride: