Need Transportation

GoldenMotor.com

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
Well I'm 14 and going to be a freshman next year, and I won't be old enough to drive. So, I thought this would be the next best thing. I've been looking for a nice CHEAP cruiser style bike, and a descent engine for a reasonable price. Any ideas. Oh yeah I was looking at the cheap mens cruisers at wally world has anyone had experience with these?
Thanks

PS Any bike that isn't to pricey and has room for an in frame mount will do.

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Generally, the majority of the members here don't trust the strength and intrigity of Wally world frames and parts.
Some of the better frames to motorize are the old steel frames.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
go try craigsllist. around here you can get a nice old steel chromoly bike for 100 bucks. as for engine try either thatsdax pirate cycles or bike-engines.com has llllots of extra parts for onlly llike 20 buclks more. good luck and have fun
len455

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
heres a good Kit
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-belt-drive-complete-powered-engine-p-320.html

Now you will need a special DL from the dmv to legally ride this and will be limited to within 7 miles of your house
Actually I have been reading the state laws and there is no permit that is needed, nor that exists for a motorized bicycle in the state of Tennessee. All that is needed is a valid operator or chauffeur license. Me not being aplicable for either this means I cannot legally ride this on the road, however I still will continue to build a bike because when you are 15 you can get a motorcycle learners permit which allows you to go as you please on any moped, motor bike, ect. as long as it is under 650cc. So, I will continue with my build, oh and the kit looks nice.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Dax friction drive is the way to go. Put a whole bike together for $400 or less. Put one on a standard 3x7/8 mtn bike off craigslist. Get a $15 quality BMX freewheel and make it a 3x1, make it simple. (Use a piece of coat hanger to replace the cable on derailer and hold it on gear. BMX freewheel will last forever basically.) Really, you only need a few gears to bump up to cruising speed, then just gas it the whole way. Then take apart the right gripshift and remove 1 little metal spring, and it becomes a twist throttle. Get someone to solder a cable stop on the other end, not hard, takes a few minutes.
A rigid mtn bike will handle well at 30mph and under, let you use a huge variety of cheap tires, and you will still be able to pedal it usefully if your engine cuts out or you can't get gas money.

Make sure your hub cones are well adjusted and tight, and your spokes TIGHT. Average wheels will work for <30mph if you don't beat them badly, and keep your tires full.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dax-Friction-Drive-fan-club/218445778250153

Last edited:

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Make sure you get the largest frame you can comfortably ride. To small and your engine wont fit or your carb will hit

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Actually I have been reading the state laws and there is no permit that is needed, nor that exists for a motorized bicycle in the state of Tennessee. All that is needed is a valid operator or chauffeur license. Me not being aplicable for either this means I cannot legally ride this on the road, however I still will continue to build a bike because when you are 15 you can get a motorcycle learners permit which allows you to go as you please on any moped, motor bike, ect. as long as it is under 650cc. So, I will continue with my build, oh and the kit looks nice.
http://www.tn.gov/safety/publications/MotorcycleManual09.pdf
page 7

Minors between the ages of 15 and 16 may apply for a restricted license to operate a motorized
bicycle, just as they would to operate a motor-driven cycle. For instance, the applicant must
take a written test, vision screening and demonstrate the ability to operate the motorized
bicycle. The license issued will be restricted to a motorized bicycle only. The license will be
valid only between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and within a seven (7) mile radius of
the motor-driven cycle driver’s home.
Applicants under the age of eighteen (18) along with the parent or legal guardian must
complete a Minor/Teenage Affidavit and Cancellation form making the parent or legal guardian
financially liable for the applicant’s action.

HillbillyScientist

Apr 4, 2012
Piney Flats TN
page 7

Minors between the ages of 15 and 16 may apply for a restricted license to operate a motorized
bicycle, just as they would to operate a motor-driven cycle. For instance, the applicant must
take a written test, vision screening and demonstrate the ability to operate the motorized
bicycle. The license issued will be restricted to a motorized bicycle only. The license will be
valid only between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and within a seven (7) mile radius of
Applicants under the age of eighteen (18) along with the parent or legal guardian must
complete a Minor/Teenage Affidavit and Cancellation form making the parent or legal guardian
I have read these pages several times thanks you have been a great help, oh and I'm looking at a diamond back on cl

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
page 7

The easy way to deal with this problem is to put 49cc stickers on the engine. The cops don't tear them down to check cc's and under 50cc is legally not subject to anything more than normal bicycle rules. Memphis cops don't even look twice.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
The easy way to deal with this problem is to put 49cc stickers on the engine. The cops don't tear them down to check cc's and under 50cc is legally not subject to anything more than normal bicycle rules. Memphis cops don't even look twice.
put a 212 cc on a bike and go blastin through town at 40 plus while doing wheelies at the stop lights and see what they dig up to charge you with.
Your worst enemy is a Cop you stopped from eating his doughnuts