Schwinn OCC Chopper not a fun build.

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The Schwinn OCC can be kind of a challenge. I am fortunate to have a machine shop so things went much easier. I made all my modification parts, but it sounds like Barry's off e-bay work well.
You can cut off half your brake pad on the drive side to clear the chain. You won't notice much difference in stopping power, especially if you have a front brake.
The exhaust is very easy if you buy a $20 conduit bender. Just cut the original pipe at the 90 degree bend and attach to both ends of new pipe.

Good luck,

John

Attachments

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Jim at Creative Engineering and I are designing a combo clamshell sprocket adapter/ disc brake mount for the Stingray rear wheel. I already have a rear disc brake on my Stingray as well as the front.
I am formulating a kit very soon.

Not to highjack this thread, but development of Stingray related parts will be on my "Production Bobber Frame Build" in General Discussions.

'BrettMavriK

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The OCC requires a lot of Mods but that is what is all about. Mine is fantastic I couldn't be happier, however it was six months in the making, and a lot of headaches. I would have it no other way I learned a lot, and I can make a very reliable OCC motorized chopper at this point. Once I get my pics up check it out.If you want an Occ chopper motorized Bike You will have to do a lot of things I've done otherwise your going to have to work on it every couple of miles.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The OCC requires a lot of Mods but that is what is all about. Mine is fantastic I couldn't be happier, however it was six months in the making, and a lot of headaches. I would have it no other way I learned a lot, and I can make a very reliable OCC motorized chopper at this point. Once I get my pics up check it out.If you want an Occ chopper motorized Bike You will have to do a lot of things I've done otherwise your going to have to work on it every couple of miles.
Lets see the pics. Then we will comment.

John

willyg1

Dec 19, 2009
Louisiana
New member here. Willyg1

Actually Micargi sells great adult size chopper bikes but they all have 60 spoke wheels. When I finish my grandsons occ schwinn chopper I am gonna build one of Micargi's. The sprocket has to be a blank so it can be redrilled for more hardware and a different mount for the engine. Im gonna try one of Barry's (ebay) mounts but modify it for the larger adult frame. I plan on using smaller hardware for the sprocket but Grade 5 or better AN or grade 8 NAS hardware, just more of them (12 or 15 bolts). I have finished three bikes and almost done with the chopper for my grandson. It has been a little more difficult but not to an extreme. I replaced all the hardware on all 4 bikes with Grade 5 bolts especially on the sprocket and idler bracket. Anyway, glad I found this site and thanks to my son-inlaw and grandson for introducing me to this.

willyg1

Dec 19, 2009
Louisiana
would like to put a jackshaft kit on a stretch full size chopper with a internal shifting rear hub. The Hub could always come later.

willyg1

Dec 19, 2009
Louisiana
Hi Ron
I tried fitting my chain this evening afterwork and decided to go without the chain tensioner after seening one in this post. Sure looks alot cleaner but the left rear caliper lever just touches the chain. Hopefully tomorrow figure out a way to raise it about 1/2 inch. I had the motor mounted with rubber bushings to cut down on the vibration but didn't like the way they fit so I replaced them with teflon bushings. Seems alot less movement of the motor. Can't wait to ride this bike, my grandson will love it.

Bill

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
This DIY motor mount/j-shaft made life easy. Tuned pipe makes a world of diff. The five speed gives you all the speed and hill climbing you could want. Glad I'm small enough to ride this OCC.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Wiilyg1,
Yes that is the type of freewheel that I used, however I used a 14T your pic showes a 16T.
The freewheel only comes into play when you are pedaling. So I would recomend the very highest tooth count you can find.
The motor ratio that I have is this: 16T 10T 14 thru 28T(rear freewheel cluster). You should be able to find a freewheel adapter for about $7 to $9.
Oh yes you not need a freewheel on the motor side, the one in the pic is tack welded so it only functions as a standard gear.

PS: gas tank is in seat bag.

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Russel, By Using The Flat Bar Stock For The Motor Attachment, Much Easier And Neater Than Pipe. It May Also Help Keep The Crankcase From Leaking (where The Halves Bolt Together). Bolting A Ht Motor To The Seat Post Etc With The Factory Mounts May Be More Solid. But I Think It Would Have A Tendency To Force The Engine Block Halves Apart, Contributing To Leaks!! How Many Miles Do You Think You Have On The Red Chopper? Where Did You Get The 5 Speed Cassette? Will Other Shifters Work, 7 Speed Etc? Like The Rear Deraillier And Twist Shifter. Is There Room For 7 Cog Cassette? I Have Lots Of Them! None Of My Choppers Have Front Fenders Or Brakes!!! Ron

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
AZ=Bill,
I put a C-Engineering sprocket adapter w/32T sprocket on a spare wheel. Then put it on my other OCC. Put the five spd-cluster on the original wheel. The rag sprocket runs true, not knowing if the new cluster would work out I left it on.
I will soon take the cluster off swap it to another wheel, and leave the original wheel & rag sprocket for another project.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
russell,,,cool :)

Neat, thanks for asking, I have a micargi gts coming from my family for x-mas (^),,,
my ezm Q-matic is going on it, mounted low on the bottom tube :)
I also have a 72 tooth sprocket and adapter coming from Jim at creative Engineering,,,gonna be stylin while pulling the trailer up walls ;)