Diamondback Response Sport

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Grubee 66 Diamondback Response Sport

Lots of upgrades, this baby rides! SBP Shift kit in the works so I can put my rear disc brake back on.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Wow! Nice looking bike!dance1

My bike is a Diamondback Response too, but with 203 mm front/rear disc brakes.. I mounted a four-liter HT fuel tank on the top tube.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Nice build. I always thought it was impossible to squeeze a china motor in the newer style mountain bike frame. Guess I was wrong. What did you use to mount the gas tank on that thick frame?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks guys. I used a piece of double sided tape to hold the tank centered. I used some of the chain guard that came with the motor kit to make custom mounts

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
yo...looks sick except i just noticed the tip of the muffler.....we should put a elbow on it and point it away from the tire......from the pics it looks like 2 things happening really fast....your gonna nuke your brake pads and spray the crap out of your tire.......like a copper elbow or something slot and clamp it on maybe.. other then that it looks awesome...cant wait to see it in person....2 stroke exhaust+bicycle tire+ dramatically faster wear and could technically affect traction especially in wet conditions....

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Van,

From the picture you can't tell. But I already thought of that, the elbow is on and painted. Giving the exhaust just the right angle. The rear V brakes are temporary, I'll be getting a shift kit towards the end of the month

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It wasn't running right with the pipe in the down position; the motor was wanting to run leaner, even with a leaner jet it wasn't right. It ran good only to 28mph and then blap, blap, blap.

So I mounted it back the way I had it on the cruiser, and put back in the .75 jet and it runs strong again.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I just got some semi-slick tires from the store and put them on. Wow, what a difference; much smoother and a lot less rolling resistance.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
ad to hear you found some tires....i should be picking up my 36t sprocket today....ive also been shopping for a new helmet.....we should ride saturday if your not gonna be busy even if its just a couple of us

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
ad to hear you found some tires....i should be picking up my 36t sprocket today....ive also been shopping for a new helmet.....we should ride saturday if your not gonna be busy even if its just a couple of us
I already posted for this Saturday, it should be You, Dave ?, George, Will, and myself. I wanna get a good ride in Saturday like last time or longer...

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
prob not dave this time...he rode his MaB as instructed not to do...with shorts...fell at low speed without the motor on...but we had been mashing uphill shortly before hand.....burnt his leg pretty good....he is generally ok...just not sure if he is gonna be up for sat or not...i am regardless lol

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have done a little bit more to the bike, so I figured I'd update this thread.

- advanced the timing just a bit
- added MX style fenders
- new Electra cruiser tires (very smooth)
- new Nite Rider tail-light (much better than Bell p.o.s.)

I wanted to install a shift kit, but after measuring, I don't think that it will work on my particular frame. A couple more things to do, I'll keep you guys updated.

mxer115

Aug 11, 2011
az
hey there... im new to this... I found a 22" DB response for 150$ and the raw motors 66cc kit for 150$ i think I am going to invest the $300... What do you guys think? I think the response looks like a solid bike. Any run ins i should be aware of?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The build is pretty straight forward. The only areas of concern are:

- the frame is bigger then most so you'll need a 2'' exhaust clamp and mounting plate for the front, and for the rear mount just grind it out till it fits flush.

- the top tube is a strong box design, this makes mounting the tank tricky. I just used double sided tape and made my own mount brackets. You can't even tell

- If you have a rear disc brake, you'll need to remove the setup and run a v brake or get a jack-shaft kit. I figured out how to run dual disc brakes but I won't disclose any info till I'm finished.

My DB response keeps getting better and better, if you have any questions feel free to ask. :)