Extreme off road bike with Staton Saburo crankdrive shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
Extreme off road GT Mountain bike with Staton Saburo crankdrive shift kit, 21 speeds, pushing 250 pound, 6' 6" rider, 50 pound pack, 50 pound motorbike up the steepest firebreak trails of the Angeles National Forest, Ca., some trails with 40-50 percent max grades.

And dodging the occasional beehive swarms........................Don

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Extreme off road GT Mountain bike with Staton Saburo crankdrive shift kit, 21 speeds, pushing 250 pound, 6' 6" rider, 50 pound pack, 50 pound motorbike up the steepest firebreak trails of the Angeles National Forest, Ca., some trails with 40-50 percent max grades.
That is awesome and sounds like a lot of fun.
Would love to do some rides up in Angeles Crest.
I am putting together a 4 stroke shifter bike too.

How much did that kit cost you?
How long have you been riding it?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
That is awesome, an 8 lb. 4 stroke, reliable and with low exhaust note. I'd be interested to know how the crank drive train holds up over time though in my experience Staton builds things to last.

Last edited:

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
staton is without a doubt the best transmission and thats why I build my frames with them, I have over 250 hours on mine no issues or problems u get what u pay for

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
That is awesome and sounds like a lot of fun.
Would love to do some rides up in Angeles Crest.
I am putting together a 4 stroke shifter bike too.

How much did that kit cost you?
How long have you been riding it?

The kit is about $700 dollars depending upon the different variations of gearing, freewheel options, and crankarm options.

I have been riding this build now for 3 months and have easily logged over a 1,000 extreme off road miles on it exploring various Los Padres and Angeles Forest firebreak, maintanence, game trails and roads.................Don

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
One of my most recent and best scouting trips that put me in an area in Los Padres Forest that has been closed to 4 wheel vehicular traffic for decades, 20 miles back from the nearest public road entrance that would have been very difficult to peddle power reach on a 40 mile round trip but was a breeze with the motor assist, and not a sole to be seen except for me and the occasional wildlife...........Don

Last edited:

offroad

Dec 31, 2008
Connecticut
I am seriously going to either buy or build an echo version of your bike for my east coast New England mountains and area.

Though in some areas I have no doubt that will need to be aware of areas that I can not go into, or go guerrilla stealth motor assist biking, as we have too many tree hugger gustoppo types that would find as many laws to arrest you as possible, and make up a few more. But that is another topic.

Last edited:

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
I am seriously going to either buy or build an echo version of your bike for my east coast New England mountains and area.

Though in some areas I have no doubt that will need to be aware of areas that I can not go into, or go guerrilla stealth motor assist biking, as we have too many tree hugger gustoppo types that would find as many laws to arrest you as possible, and make up a few more. But that is another topic.
Yes, I think many of us off pavement pedallers are faced with this situation.

An eco friendly power bike is a good way to go, unfortunately I have not found an electric powered kit that can provide the range and power to go the distances and thru the terrain that I encounter. A small 4 cycle gas powered crankshaft shift kit with 50 to 1 gear ratio seems to be the best alternative, and the Staton kit seems to offer this with the highest degree of reliability using precision Japaneese 4 stroke engines and precision gearboxes......Don

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado

New England has mountains?

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
yo bro I lived in Santa Barbara ca and I know all those trails in the backcountry, you are having the time of your life, those trails are some of the best in the world!! with the new fire brakes they cut there even more places to ride, keep up the good riding and enjoy yourself. I know you are bud

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
yo bro I lived in Santa Barbara ca and I know all those trails in the backcountry, you are having the time of your life, those trails are some of the best in the world!! with the new fire brakes they cut there even more places to ride, keep up the good riding and enjoy yourself. I know you are bud

Lance, you got the location spot on, trecked the Santa Ynez riverbed and surrounding mountain ranges from Gibraltor/Jameson lakes all the way to Ojai, not too many places like biking the Cielo ridge line where you can look south 25 miles out over the Pacific ocean and see the Santa Rosa islands and then look north to the Los Padres mountain ranges that jut thousands of feet up out of the Santa Ynez valley floor.................Don

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
I live back in philly now but I love those trails, I lived in flores flats off of gilbralter road and would ride mtb and motorcycle all over the place, but where u can go with a bike is endless just watch out for mountian lions

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo
I live back in philly now but I love those trails, I lived in flores flats off of gilbralter road and would ride mtb and motorcycle all over the place, but where u can go with a bike is endless just watch out for mountian lions

Yes Ive wondered about the mountain lions especially after seeing several different large paw prints in the soft talc dirt or mud flats near stream beds..............my problem is cannot tell the difference between mountain lion and bobcat prints, where one is deadly while the other is just an overgrown house cat with big feet..................Don

dtj6ppc

Feb 23, 2011
redondo

Flores Flats, when I passed by there recently I felt like I was in a scene out of the movie Delivernce, waiting for the revenuers to jump me.........Don

Santa Barbara – Gibraltar Road Climb

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
thanks bro for the flashback yea in the backcounty i would bring a handgun just to be sure when i pull over for a drink and to relax and take in the sights a big ass cat dont jump on me

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Born and raised San Luis Obispo CA. Now I live in South Carolina. Seeing your pictures brought a familiar pain to my hart. I miss it, and want to come home. I am jelouse bud.
Have fun, and keep it safe.
Oh.......Nice ride too.

Lance Portnoff

Mar 22, 2010
pennsylvania
tell em mr gadget putting all those beautiful pictures up to make anyone who knows how kick ass it is back there jellous
dtj6ppc is having such a blast endless trails + no cars = BIG FUN

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've got the same sit up on my bike. I live in Tennessee so I'm no stranger to steep long hills. I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs. I've been able to do at least 8 mph up any hill. The 28 chain ring is my hill climber, the 34 is level ground (30 mph) and the 42 is the downhill (40+ mph). My bike is a Land Rider auto shift. That's why I went with the crank drive kit; it allowed me to keep the auto shift feature on my rear wheel. I got the 18.75 to 1 gear box. For my gear box shaft I use a 17 tooth gear. This gear gives you the best ratios in the 34 chain ring. My rear wheel gears are a 28-13 seven speed.