FL Gas Motorized Bicycle Registration NOT Required as of 04/20/2011

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Re: FL Gas MB Registration NOT Required as of 04/20/2011

Thanks for the post James912. I get the heebie Geebies around po pos too here in Dunnelon FL. (23 miles west of Ocala) on my MB . Nice to here FL. is finally letting us save some fuel and staying out of our hair for a change. Back in the moped days (1970s) they got down right opressive about vehicles like these.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Just for A test, I rode through one of the towns that are notorious for cops not really caring about the traffic on their streets..
Took the limiter off my electric bike and was doing 30mph all around town for an hour and a half..
Cops passing me all day long and not even a second look.
Now mind you, that my bike LOOKS like a motorcycle. (Chopper)

I then put the limiter back on and rode around another town that is notorious for cops who like to bust chops..
Would you believe that in not more than 5 minutes, I was pulled over?
A million questions (and my answers, along with the 2011 motorcycle/moped manual, every statute that references electric bikes, and not capable of 20mph) and 25 minutes later they finally had to let me go..

Just goes to show you the varied difference of attitudes that cops can have.

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

Just for A test, I rode through one of the towns that are notorious for cops not really caring about the traffic on their streets..
Took the limiter off my electric bike and was doing 30mph all around town for an hour and a half..
Cops passing me all day long and not even a second look.
Now mind you, that my bike LOOKS like a motorcycle. (Chopper)

I then put the limiter back on and rode around another town that is notorious for cops who like to bust chops..
Would you believe that in not more than 5 minutes, I was pulled over?
A million questions (and my answers, along with the 2011 motorcycle/moped manual, every statute that references electric bikes, and not capable of 20mph) and 25 minutes later they finally had to let me go..

Just goes to show you the varied difference of attitudes that cops can have.
You go Frank!

Good thing you had all your "ducks in a row" to let him be aware you know where you stand legally on your electric MB.

Florida MB'ers - Ride That Thing!!!

:)

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

Boy, I'm gonna have to get my blankity blank together if this is how its gonna be ! BTW, Thanks for educating them Frank cvlt1

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Thankfully, I almost never have to go through that town, and even then, I only have a one mile stretch that I'm there...
My point is, it's always up to the cop to decide what he's going to do..
The best thing is to be prepared with every and all documents that are helpful.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

So, Rebel just told me I'm in violation of Fl. law rideing my less tan 2 hp motored bicycle. Which is correct, Post # whatever saying that an MB need not be regestered of Rebel telling me I'm headed for Alcatraz ?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

As of this moment, gas powered bicycles do not need to be registered..
On the drivers license side, one other poster was ticketed and won his case in his municipality's court for not needing a driver's license.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

So let me get this straight, I can ride my unregistered bicycle powered by a 50cc motor on the surface streets (non highway/expressways) of FL. , Right ?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

So let me get this straight, I can ride my unregistered bicycle powered by a 50cc motor on the surface streets (non highway/expressways) of FL. , Right ?
Hi,

I would say yes.

Here is my post from another thread: (copy/ pasted)

Heres what I would do (if I had no license and reg and tag or if I did have it - which I do)

a. I'd print out 04/20/2011's DMVs procedure info, (the one page in particular)
add 05/24/2011: and the cover page showing doc info and date.

b. I'd also have a copy of the 08/2010 verdict from Brevard county (as discussed from the other forum)

(have a. and b. with you just in case you are questioned/ pulled over)

c. follow the rules of the road

d. be respectful if stopped

e. Ride That Thing!!!

I hope this helps.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

For the unregistered part, there is documentation that you can print out from the DMV stating that you can't register a gas powered bike.

For the license part, I wouldn't take the advice of some people on the web.
I would contact a lawyer and your local police department.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

For the unregistered part, there is documentation that you can print out from the DMV stating that you can't register a gas powered bike.

For the license part, I wouldn't take the advice of some people on the web.
I would contact a lawyer and your local police department.
Hi,

Were are in agreement with your first point.

We (again) seem to disagree, yet again on the second point.

My information that I shared is based on an individual speaking DIRECTLY to the MAIN DMV OFFICE in the FLORIDA STATE CAPITAL.

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED TO DRIVE A GAS POWERED BICYCLE IN FLORIDA.

Here is a the info from the reliable source:
add: (this line) ---> (thanks again for for your efforts Jeff A.)

"...The DMV has now classified the gas powered bicycle combination a BICYCLE as of 20 April 2011.

You will not need a drivers license, registration, or insurance to ride it.

This information has been 100% confirmed through the state capital DMV office.

Supporting documentation can be found on page 28 of the following link.

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF ..."

Frank, quick questions please:

a. If a gas motorized bicycle is now reclassified as a simple bicycle as of 04/20/2011 (from a moped where a drivers license WAS required) , why would you need a license?

b. Refresh my memory, what did you do with the court info from 08/2010 that you were adamantly requesting?

c. Since you take the other side of the discussion(s) on several occasions, why don't you cut to the chase and call the main DMV yourself, as you don't believe what I/we are sharing with the forum? (And share your info with the forum as soon as you get it?) Yes, and as you said, maybe it would be a good idea to get it in writing, on dmv letterhead, notarized.

Please let me/ us know what you find.

Peace.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

I have an 80cc(66cc) by the way. And cops don't bother me. Haven't been pulled over. I went down the main street(4 laned road that gets tons of traffic). I don't look for cops, but they are all over this road and I never was stopped. I ride safely. When I'm in a bike lane, i ride as far away from the white line as possible. Cuz these drivers can move into the next lane most of the time, becuase theres a car on that side. So I want as much space as possible.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

Frank,

Yes, DO NOT respond to posts that are "TROLLS". Uh-huh...

On a more positive note, your points are well taken.

Jeff A. "has skin in the game", is a stand up guy and I believe what he has stated and shared with the forum.

He said that the updates in writing I/we are looking for should come in 2012.

How about talking to the highest person at the Floridas Capital Main DMV Office?

Captain Silva is highly respected and will talk to the right person and the right Florida Gov't Entity.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Contact a lawyer or your local police (and/or the police departments in the areas you plan to ride through).*

In terms of not registering a gas powered bicycle, that is true, none is needed.*

However, read this for non registered vehicles still needing driver licenses to be ridden.*

http://www.swampcycles.com/Rules/Or...32faa6b0205a=2ef5e407194eccbaec1e6b809ae0e493

So like I said before, you do not need to register a bicycle (gas engine or not).*
Any other issues reguarding anything else, need to be handled through legal representation or police departments.*

I will NOT make any suggestions based on conjecture or anecdotal stories, NOR will I respond to any posts that are trolls...

Registration (at this EXACT moment) is NOT REQUIRED, NOR can you register it.*
When it comes to engine cc size or speeds capable or needing of driver license of gas powered bicycles, I PERSONALLY, have no knowledge of, so I can not say one way or another.*

I have an electric bicycle that is not capable of speeds greater than 20mph and I have many documents and state statutes that state CLEARLY, that an electric bicycle that can not achieve speeds of greater than 20mph does not require a drivers license.*

I have PERSONALLY seen NOTHING in a statute or documentation from the DMV, HSMV or Florida government that CLEARLY STATES, a gas powered bicycle does not need a license. So I can not personally advice on such matters, which is why I say contact a lawyer or your local police departments.

Please show me a Document or statute (from the DMV or state government) that CLEARLY STATES or has the words, "You do not need a driver's license to drive a gas powered bicycle"..

As an example..
On page 9 of the "2011 Motorcycle/Moped Manual", it CLEARLY states...

"Note: A drivers license is not required to operate an electric helper motor bicycle"

NO where in that manual does it say ANYTHING about a gas powered bicycle.*

Show me DIRECT, CLEAR statements (not something that's suggestive) that states EXACTLY that I do not need a drivers license for a gas powered bicycle.*
Either a state statute or a DMV document that CLEARLY states as such.

Anything else, is pure conjecture.

P.S. Even the newest DMV procedural document TL-10 states that the tag office personel should "tell us to contact local law enforcement as to where a "motorized bicycle" can be used."

On a side note...
EVERY single person I've personally seen riding a gas powered bike (AND electric bike) was riding on the sidewalk, under power. (Illegal)
EVERY person I've personally seen riding an electric bike on the road has been going over 20mph. (again illegal).

According to the people that say, that I don't need a drivers license to ride a gas powered bicycle, then I could easily add a 250cc motor onto a bicycle and have a 6 year old doing 80 mph on the road, while I, as an adult, can't ride an electric bicycle that's capable of 21mph.

Until I see it in writing, I would PERSONALLY will not ride a gas powered bike without a license.

Everyone else, can do what they want.

End Of Line.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Since this thread was originally about registration, I personally believe that it is not required to be registered..

I will hold off on a "final word" of my own personal thoughts on the issue of DL required, until I have confirmed all the current facts, documents and such.

End of line.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.

Now it is my understanding after reading the the DMV link in its entirety in post #35 by Sangesf that a gas motored bicycle is now a moped as per definition. A motor bike by that name "motor bike" is now a bicycle with an electric motor only. Again, A "gas" powered bicycle of any cc wheather it be a 35cc Robin or has a 49 hp trick CR 500 motor in it falls under the definition moped by my understanding of what I read. It just wouldn't be legal with the CR motor obviously. Believe me, I wanted to read I didn't need to register my gas bicycle ! Regestration is what concerns me, Not the DL thing. But if you put some consentration in what you are reading in that link I think you will agree. Please post YOUR opinion. "PLEASE" Prove me wrong ! Thankyou :-||

Status
Not open for further replies.