I have figured out the BC motorized bike legal loophole!

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Hi, I just figured out the best loophole ever.

We no longer ride motorized bicycles, Its illegal yaknow?

We ride motorized wheelchairs!
ICBC | Motorized wheelchairs

Look at that, Theres absolutely no restrictions, No mention of gas or electric power, CC limits, speed limits, Required equipment, even the definition is vauge. Whats a wheel chair? Wikipedia says something with wheels and a chair. We got wheels and a seat, A stool technicaly. Wikipedia defines a chair as needing a backrest. I could do with a backrest on my motorized wheelchair, Could'nt you? We clearly don't fit under LSM due to clutchs, gearshifts, over 50cc, etc. So we must be motorized wheelchairs.
laff

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I got a clear run at that one. I'm handicapped and not just my morals. Hey if I have a trike and my crip card that goes in the window, it would be fun to go to court and see if that would pass. Under 50cc just to be sure.

Thier argument would be that they put a picture of a mobility scooter in there to give you the idea of what they were talking about. So what. Mine has bigger wheels and a gas motor. Still 3 wheels and I have an allergy to electricity.
May need someone to bail me out.

Steve.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Nobody said anything about needing to be handicapped to use one. Wheres that writen? *grins* And I don't see anything writen about how many wheels, Why theres tons of diffrent styles. Some look very close to bicycles. 3 wheel designs.. etc

The discription and regulation is so vauge you could drive a semi truck through it. (Please don't try and claim your uninsured unregistered semi truck is a wheelchair -_-)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Just thinking it would be better if the first guy to throw the beef into ICBC had a legitimate reason. After that the precidence has been set and everyone else will be either risking thier a$$ or untouchable since they can argue that I got off and they should too..

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The really great news is anyone can use a wheel chair or mobility scooter.

The not so great news is that they are only supposed to be used on side walks at walking speed and if there are no sidewalks on the left side of the road facing the traffic according to ICBC. Nothing like staring down Vancouver traffic on a mobility scooter at about 6 mph.

Ever notice if it has wheels or wings the government is there to take all the fun out of it.

Steve

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Well, I don't feel that safe riding on the roads anymore after drivers attempted to kill me twice in one day. If cops wanna give me a ticket for speeding on the sidewalk or driving it on the road, thats gotta still be cheaper then the wack of tickets they give ya for operating a MB.

Also, I sure as **** would'nt wanna operate one in vancouver. Streets are dangerious enough where I live (rural)

Also, Where is a speed limit mentioned? I could not find one anywhere on the ICBC page.
Iv seen stock (presumabley) motorized wheelchairs doing at least 10mph easy.
I see 'Safety tips for driving motorized wheelchairs' But no 'Safety LAWS for driving motorized wheelchairs'

Also the *tip* about: 'Drive at the same speed as other pedestrian traffic.'
Thats just being nice. When people are on the sidewalk, drive a similar speed while passing them
Once nobody is around on the sidewalk, You ARE the only pedestrian traffic, And hence any speed you go is the same speed as other pedestrian traffic.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was just reading your other post when you answered this one. Two near misses in one day is incredible. I think with that luck I would be buying lottery tickets.

Saw the speed limit when I was going through the web sites. Will try and find it again and tell you where it is. You would be held up with the volume of people walking anyway so that is kind of a mute point any way.

Was in White Rock at the mall and there is an old guy who thinks that he can go as fast as the scooter will and drives people off the sidewalks all over the city.
He's in the mall at full speed and comes up behind an old lady walking along and gives her a good long blast of the horn. She went stiff and went up in the air about 6 inches and when she came down spun around and laid Mr.Toots right across the side of the head with her cane and drove the old boy right out of his seat. I mean he came off there like a dog hitting the end of it's chain at full gallop.

Mr. Toots is lying there and Grandma looks at him and shakes her cane and yells F'ing A$$hole and walks off. Mall security was calling the EMT's last I saw of it and grandma disappeared into Zellers.
That was a video moment.

Steve.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Volume of people? the busyest the sidewalks get around where I live is about 1 person per 100 feet. thats downtown infront of all the shops, midday.
Theres more people walking around parking lots. Most roads not infront of serious numbers of shops will have nobody for over 1000' at a time, And less most of the day.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sounds like a winning situation to me. I'm down in the south Surrey? White Rock area when I'm not on the road traveling so I forget that the lucky people aren't dealing with the volume of people that I am. Look up Dragon Bikes I think the company is called. They have a trike that carrys 2 people and another one that carrys 2 people but also doubles as a dump cart/ pick up.

Not inexpensive but may be street legal.

Steve.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can get bicycle seats that have a seat-back, like office chairs, about $20 bucks for the add-on or $50 for the seat. Curse the corrupt gov. They don't work for Canadians, so you have to ensure your own prosperity and survival.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hYI+U5eIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Morgan seat back http://www.amazon.com/Morgan-Cycle-Bicycle-Seat-Back/dp/B002BZ1G5K

Hi, I just figured out the best loophole ever.

We no longer ride motorized bicycles, Its illegal yaknow?

We ride motorized wheelchairs!
ICBC | Motorized wheelchairs

Look at that, Theres absolutely no restrictions, No mention of gas or electric power, CC limits, speed limits, Required equipment, even the definition is vauge. Whats a wheel chair? Wikipedia says something with wheels and a chair. We got wheels and a seat, A stool technicaly. Wikipedia defines a chair as needing a backrest. I could do with a backrest on my motorized wheelchair, Could'nt you? We clearly don't fit under LSM due to clutchs, gearshifts, over 50cc, etc. So we must be motorized wheelchairs.
laff

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Brazilian old man builds 50mph electric wheelchair, hauls ass on highway.

YouTube - Guy in a Wheelchair Going at 60 mph on the Highway.

I got a clear run at that one. I'm handicapped and not just my morals. Hey if I have a trike and my crip card that goes in the window, it would be fun to go to court and see if that would pass. Under 50cc just to be sure.

Thier argument would be that they put a picture of a mobility scooter in there to give you the idea of what they were talking about. So what. Mine has bigger wheels and a gas motor. Still 3 wheels and I have an allergy to electricity.
May need someone to bail me out.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
happycheapskate, thanks for the seat link. Wondered if there was something like that avaiable.

Looking around the web over the past few months for info on what is and isn't legal about motor bikes I've seen numerous references to the fact that the U.S. and Canadian governments make the federal automobile laws/guide lines in both countries the same.
Can't do or have something in the U.S., can't do or have it in Canada.

Always wanted a motor powered lazy boy. If your going to He** anyway you might as well be comfortable.

Steve.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Well fasteddy I really think the motorized lazy boy would be sidewalk legal at least :)

And I think the cops would be laughing too hard to catch ya if you can do 60kph on the road.. :)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Black Moons, can you imagine a cop trying to tell the judge that he arrested a guy going down main street at 60 km an hour on a Lazy Boy. They would have to clear the court room of people laughing.

Of course the stealth factor would go out the window or the cops would ignore you because they don't want to deal with it.

Steve.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I don't agree its quite true, but you do see a lot of influence between the two traffic administrations, esp among proponent of the North American Union (Mexicanada).

An example would be those retarded Daytime Driving lights. I disconnected mine on my last car, and the blinking tell-tale came on all the time. I finally put electrical tape over it.

happycheapskate, thanks for the seat link. Wondered if there was something like that avaiable.

Looking around the web over the past few months for info on what is and isn't legal about motor bikes I've seen numerous references to the fact that the U.S. and Canadian governments make the federal automobile laws/guide lines in both countries the same.

Always wanted a motor powered lazy boy. If your going to He** anyway you might as well be comfortable.

Steve.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It's been one. There are plenty of versions, from this Burning Man art-car thing, to honda 4cyl powered 3 wheelers.

The Incredible Motorized Couch

Steve.